1970 Fury AM/FM Antenna

67valiant 100

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the correct antenna assembly is for a 1970 Fury with the optional R35 AM/FM stereo radio? Is it the fixed mast or the collapsible mast style? Our '70 Chrysler with the R37 AM/FM 8 track stereo has the fixed mast but it is also a super late build car. Thanks

Does that look like a fixed or adjustable mast antenna?

Screenshot_20240621_220010_Gallery.jpg

At that height, it is not a fixed-length mast, but the telescoping mast.

CBODY67

Anyone know what the correct antenna assembly is for a 1970 Fury with the optional R35 AM/FM stereo radio? Is it the fixed mast or the collapsible mast style? Our '70 Chrysler with the R37 AM/FM 8 track stereo has the fixed mast but it is also a super late build car. Thanks
I'm not sure what antenna would have come with that radio. I think it would be the fixed mast.

Even if it did come with a collapsible mast, I would still use a fixed length mast. FM radio wavelength is approx. 9'-11', depending on the frequency. Since you can't run around with a 10' antenna, you can use an antenna that is 1/4 of that wavelength and that works out to ~27" to ~33" with the compromise length being 31", which just happens to be the length of a Mopar fixed length antenna.

AM radio antenna is another story and generally the longer the better, but the fixed mast will work just fine.

One alleged reason for the stainless steel, fixed length masts was how easily a telescoping mast antenna could be destroyed on the streets of NYC, by people "walking around". A quick karate chop and it's history. With a fixed mast (if they didn't notice it first!), that same "chop" could result in a bent mast that rebounded to smack its attacker. Not to mention how the edge of the attacker's handle felt.

It was always easy to tell the people who lived/worked in the boondocks, as they'd run the telescoping antenna mast all the way up. Which then meant that highway speeds (and any tree branches) would give it an arc toward the rear of the car. Car was usually not recently-washed either. To me, the stainless steel mast was the best compromise, for many reasons.

The progression was: normal, round telescoping antenna masts. then the tear-drop shaped (at least the bottom two sections) telescoping masts for less noise, and then the 31" stainless steel fixed masts. At a time when GM (and Chrysler Imperials) were trying to make "windshield antennas" work better. As power antennas were a luxury option.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
Back