1970 Fury III disc brake caliper dragging

BackwithaFury

Reaction score
The driver side caliper has been dragging the past few times I had the car out. I cannot seem to find a replacement anywhere.
Car sits, more than driven @ 2000 miles a year. Factory front discs, all brake parts hoses , rotors, calipers ( factory dual guide pin style) replaced @ 10 years ago. It has been mentioned that I should
change out the spindles to the newer ( 80's) version so parts are readily available. Wondering my best option , long run, or is there a caliper out there to purchase.
Thanks, Scott
1970 Fury III conv, 496, 727,3.55 61,000 mi car, 2800mi on drive train

005.JPG

they really aren't hard to rebuild and Rockauto has all the parts to do them yourself...get new pistons along with the seal kit....unlike a wheel cylinder where the seal rides on the bore of the cylinder and needs to be honed, the caliper seal fits in a groove in the caliper body and rides on the machined surface of the piston...pistons popped out easily with air pressure (even though one was seized)...soaked the castings overnight in Evaporust to clean inside and out (commercial guys usually blast them)

Last edited:
Before you replace the caliper, try replacing the brake close to the caliper. Sometimes the inside of the hose can break apart and not allow the fluid to fully empty out of the caliper after you release the brakes. With the quality of parts offered over the past 10 years, it is possible that your 10-year-old hoes developed a problem. Also, have you tried bleeding that caliper to make sure there’s no air in that line?

Back