For Sale 1970 Polara convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. . . I gotta spare 383 with a four-barrel you can have cheap. . .

In the fender tag Dave posted, I see D31 -- so it has an A904 transmission. Would that need changing, too?

I must say that I like the idea of a basic barge, less to go wrong/fix. Lack of AC is a bummer, so is the lack of disc brakes. Low power is fine, especially since it has drum brakes. I test-drove a 1969 Newport with drums (383 with just 2 barrels) that I was seriously thinking to buy last Fall, and driving that car like a boat (i.e., a ship) was the only way to go.

Dave (if I may -- we have never met, though I have read many of your posts), does the car look like it needs anything paint/body/rubber-wise? I'll be on the East Coast next weekend/week and may go see it with a mechanic if the car is still available.

In the fender tag Dave posted, I see D31 -- so it has an A904 transmission. Would that need changing, too?

Yes. You'll need to find a '66 or later aluminum case 727 for it. I think these transmissions are laying around like firewood. . .

As regards the brakes and lack of A/C: The drum brakes are fine, as long as the brake parts are up to snuff and they are adjusted properly. If you hafta have A/C, check with Classic Auto Air or Vintage Air and see if they have a decent aftermarket setup. But I think the car would be fine without A/C. Just zip out the back window, put the windows down (all of them) and open the vents and wind wings. "Back in the day", that is what we did with our convertibles. Hardly anyone had A/C in a convertible. . .

The drum brakes are fine, as long as the brake parts are up to snuff and they are adjusted properly.

My fear with drum brakes is in the rain (less useful) and in hilly terrain (fading). If you and others (Dave) tell me that the drum brakes are satisfactory in this specific case, then I'd take your experience over my fears.

If you hafta have A/C, check with Classic Auto Air or Vintage Air and see if they have a decent aftermarket setup. But I think the car would be fine without A/C.

Where I live, it's muggy from mid-June through mid-August. Downpours, too. That's where the AC comes in handy. This being said, whatever I buy, I'll keep it equipped as it was -- no aftermarket contraptions.

Thank you for the comments!

You could have this one for much more money but nothing to be done. Already has the BB....

attachment-8.jpeg

She also has drums, I've never had an issue nor have I ever been swayed from drums. I don't drive the car in the rain unless I get caught. I' m not racing it ...drums are fine

I want it left as is. As a find. Don't wash it, don't touch it

Your like that Wayne Carini guy, "Dirt is Expensive" on the show where he was readying a original 427 Cobra for auction. Then he goes and does the cardinal sin of using his finger to letter "Wash Me" on the trunk lid. FFS. :BangHead:

This Polara reminds me a lot of my first car, a plain-Jane 318 Challenger convertible, drum brakes, no A/C, 904 tranny. We had such good times in that car and it didn't skip a beat until it threw the timing chain during a break-neck "how fast can it go" moment. It held together nicely until we hit 120 (according to the speedo), but it did have 125K on the clock. Ignorance and the attraction of the '72 Rally for sale down the street caused me to get rid of it, where today a long weekend would have had it back on the road.

This Polara is worth every penny of 10K, 318, no A/C, dust and 904 tranny included. It's a time capsule. You want to load it up with a BB and shift kits and all that crap, you are barking up the wrong car, IMHO, it'll cause more trouble than it's worth.

My fear with drum brakes is in the rain (less useful) and in hilly terrain (fading). If you and others (Dave) tell me that the drum brakes are satisfactory in this specific case, then I'd take your experience over my fears.

Where I live, it's muggy from mid-June through mid-August. Downpours, too. That's where the AC comes in handy. This being said, whatever I buy, I'll keep it equipped as it was -- no aftermarket contraptions.

Thank you for the comments!
She also has drums, I've never had an issue nor have I ever been swayed from drums. I don't drive the car in the rain unless I get caught. I' m not racing it ...drums are fine
I don't see an issue with most car's drum brakes... as long as they are properly maintained and driven accordingly, they should stop fine.

My only beef is when they had a single channel master cylinder. I have slowly come to accept the disc conversions, for those that feel the need, but if it were me... that would likely be more about parts availability than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back