1971 Imperial brake parts availability questions.

dge472

Reaction score
So I am thinking about checking out a 71 Imperial near me. I always like to look up parts availability before I decide on purchasing certain old cars. I noticed that front brake calipers are out of stock just about everywhere I have checked. Same with lower ball joints. This particular Imperial has ABS also. Are these parts that hard to find? And does it having ABS open a whole different can of worms? Thank you in advance.

Jeff

In those earlier times, ABS was something very new, which many people did not suspect they might need. So not very many produced, although it was somewhat inexpensive back then.

DO make sure of which system it has. Sometimes, the Imperials had very unique items on them, compared to normal C-body cars. Might also check the Online Imperial Club forums in this respect, too. Might also be a Chrysler MasterTech video on that system, too?

CBODY67

This ABS is super rare 71-73 IIRC. I’m not sure if parts are available for it, but maybe modern parts or parts from other cars may fit. I have done research and rotors and drums from a Buick LeSabre fit Imperials, on paper.

So I am thinking about checking out a 71 Imperial near me. I always like to look up parts availability before I decide on purchasing certain old cars. I noticed that front brake calipers are out of stock just about everywhere I have checked. Same with lower ball joints. This particular Imperial has ABS also. Are these parts that hard to find? And does it having ABS open a whole different can of worms? Thank you in advance.

Jeff
Calipers can be rebuilt and rotors can be turned if they are not too thin. FSM should specify minimum thickness. If it is a Sure Brake car, original rotors must be kept as the ring that is used to pulse the brakes is part of the backside of the rotor, I believe.

This from Elijah Scott of Imperial Club:

"If your car DOES have Sure Brake, you will need to replace the rotors from another car also equipped with Sure Brake. Otherwise, the Sure Brake system will no longer function correctly. In fact, replacing the rotors with non-Sure Brake rotors could potentially be dangerous, since the system would get a signal from the rear brakes, but not from the front, leading it to believe that the front brakes were locked each time the car brakes."

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. Sounds like this car may be a hassle to find parts for.

The Chrysler-Bendix ABS is a 3-channel ABS system where each front wheel and the rear differential sent speed signals to the computer. This system used a tone ring on each rotor and a tone ring on the ring gear with a hall-effect sensor. This is very similar to a modern system still found on cars today.

The system however used a series of vacuum modulators to control the actuation of the calipers and both rear wheel cylinders. This is in contrast to a modern system that uses a hydraulic control unit with finger valves to modulate brake application during a skid event.

It was far more effective than the RWABS offered from Ford. It is too bad more people didn’t get this option.

Back