1971 Plymouth Fury I 2dr info

PE21G1F107432 looks really good. The 4th digit of the VIN tells us that the rear windows don’t move; if they did, it’d be a 3.

IMG_1436.jpeg

I thought it odd earlier when first posted. I sure didn't wanna sound stupid. I thought the I's were all sedans. It's been a long time. Did all 1971 Fury I's have inoperable rear glass with no pillar?
In 1971, the Fury I (PE21 / PL21 vin) is a fix window 23 roof Fury... no B-pillar. The B-pillar 2dr sedan (Grand Coupe) body style was gone after 1970.

These are the cars that Colorado Highway Patrol ran. PL21T1 vins.

20211219_160713.jpg

Notice no window crank..

20211219_164122.jpg

In 1971, the Fury I (PE21 / PL21 vin) is a fix window 23 roof Fury... no B-pillar. The B-pillar 2dr sedan (Grand Coupe) body style was gone after 1970.

These are the cars that Colorado Highway Patrol ran. PL21T1 vins.

View attachment 619796

Notice no window crank..

View attachment 619797

I saw that on the subject car.
Not being a Fury guy my recollection is limited.
So, no B after 70, check.

When I first saw the car's picture, I wondered if I was seeing a 2dr hardtop, yet it was a Fury I by VIN. So I went into www.hamtramck-historical.com and looked around. In the model line-up, it was called "Coupe", not sedan or hardtop for the VIN designation. In one place, it was termed "Coupe" and in another document, it was "Sedan", yet no B-pillar.

I checked 1970 Fury I info and it had a normal sedan door and B-pillar, as expected. That one was termed 2dr sedan. For 1972, only Fury I was a 4dr sedan.

In all cases the Fury II models listed a 2dr hardtop model.

These things, plus the different terminology for the 1971, led me to suspect in 1971, they used 2dr hardtop doors and glass, but no quarter window regulator, with the quarter windows non-functional. Which is why I inquired as if the quarter windows moved. One of the quirks of the 1971 Plymouth Fury I models. A Coupe that looks like a Hardtop.

I suspect that with a pair of 2dr ht quarter window regulators and run channels, might the wanna be 2dr hardtop become one?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

How is the glass secured into place ? Is it sealed like normal operable glass?
Forgive my ignorance. They look like they are set up like normal windows that would roll down if they had the appropriate hardware. It appears like they are set in a normal channel however my window knowledge is little to non existent lol. I can get some better pictures tomorrow.

Hence why it is a 21 and not a 23! It will be REALLY interesting when you pop out the back seat and pull of the trim panel to see if the window regulator is actually there.
This might be entirely possible. Many police-oriented vehicles did not have handles on the rear windows or inside door handles. Not to forget some '59 Fords which had the lh rr door "not there" on a 4dr sedan. Only way out was through the curb-side rr door.

Interesting!
CBODY67

This might be entirely possible. Many police-oriented vehicles did not have handles on the rear windows or inside door handles. Not to forget some '59 Fords which had the lh rr door "not there" on a 4dr sedan. Only way out was through the curb-side rr door.

Interesting!
CBODY67

If Kevin said it, I believe it.

How is the glass secured into place ? Is it sealed like normal operable glass?

Hence why it is a 21 and not a 23! It will be REALLY interesting when you pop out the back seat and pull of the trim panel to see if the window regulator is actually there.
Not sure on this one but I had a 77 New Yorker that I had to put a new vinyl top on. When I removed the interior panels to get to the nuts holding the moldings on I found a complete and operating quarter glass with regulator. They used the same parts on both styles, just covered it up for the opera style roof.
77ny2.jpg
R (1).jpg

Is there any factory documentation that shows a Fury I with a pillarless hardtop.
Did I miss it somewhere?

A while back I had a 71 with 318 auto nice car to drive and took to the road real good may have another one someday it evens takes the road bumps better than some new cars

I'm suspecting "Fury Custom" was a Spring Special model? Might a data plate picture also be taken? Which would have the production schedule date and first part of the VIN.

Thanks,
CBODY67

Back