NOT MINE 1972 Dodge Polara Coupe - $3,000 - Dallas, Texas

The really hard part is the valence and of course it is missing! The fenders would need to be provisioned with cornering lights.

I wonder what a wrecking yard would charge for that stuff and what it would cost to ship?

Too bad the car was hit like that in the front.

The really hard part is the valence and of course it is missing! The fenders would need to be provisioned with cornering lights.

I wonder what a wrecking yard would charge for that stuff and what it would cost to ship?

Too bad the car was hit like that in the front.

None of that bothers me, it's the dent in the quarter behind the door that scares me away .

Something about that car besides being triple black was knawing at me, then I realized what it was. When I was out back where I keep all the doors, hoods, bumpers etc from the 25 or so cars I have parted in the past, I was looking for better tail lamp housings for my 71 New Yorker two door I showed a week ago equipped with the new NEXEN tires and I recalled seeing a 72 bumper and grille assembly as I was digging through all the bumpers. So I went out back again and indeed there it was, so I looked for what else I had from that car - then I found two mint used front fenders from a 72 with cornering lights no less plus the header panel joining the two front fenders just above the grille. The front bumper I found was complete with bumper guards and the mounting brackets too plus grille. So that was a sign that I had to get this car so I went ahead and made a deal with the guy and bought it. I just didn't want it to get in the wrong hands and will make it whole and like new again. A car that well optioned in triple black just couldn't get in the wrong hands. What is funny is that the previous owner that I saw on the paperwork for the car had the same exact name as my body/paint guy! So that did it. The guy selling it was forthcoming and easy to deal with and sent more photos. I will fill in more details later.

Responding to Dave's concern about the rear quarter dent behind the door, that is not difficult for my body guy to fix since I have seen him fix far worse to just like new.

Thanks for messing me up yet once again T-revor!

Last edited:
Something about that car besides being triple black was knawing at me, then I realized what it was. When I was out back where I keep all the doors, hoods, bumpers etc from the 25 or so cars I have parted in the past, I was looking for better tail lamp housings for my 71 New Yorker two door I showed a week ago equipped with the new NEXEN tires, I recalled seeing a 72 bumper and grille assembly as I was digging through all the bumpers. So I went out back again and indeed there it was, so I looked for what else I had from that car - then I found two mint used front fenders from a 72 with cornering lights no less plus the header panel joining the two front fenders just above the grille. The front bumper I found was complete with bumper guards and the mounting brackets too plus grille. So that was a sign that I had to get this car so I went ahead and made a deal with the guy and bought it. I just didn't want it to get in the wrong hands and will make it whole and like new again. A car that well optioned in triple black just couldn't get in the wrong hands. What is funny is that the previous owner that I saw on the paperwork for the car had the same exact name as my body/paint guy! So that did it. The guy selling it was forthcoming and easy to deal with and sent more photos. I will fill in more details later.

Responding to Dave's concern about the rear quarter dent behind the door, that is not difficult for my body guy to fix since I have seen him fix far worse to just like new.

Thanks for messing me up yet once again T-revor!
Congrats…. Glad to see she’s going to a good home. Keep us posted. IMO She May deserve her own Thread. Just say’en!

Congrats to you, I was on the fence myself about it, being a car that isn't too far from what I really want and not too far from my home to make shipping unreasonable.

I know it can be repaired by a qualified guy. I looked at the car several times , thinking it over. That dent and distance kept me from it. Again, if it were a 71 it would have been here by now.
I don't want that kind of hit on a car I don't need.
The 71 on e bay by comparison I did bid on last time listed. The work needed is much more intense but being a 71 is more important to me.

I used to own a 1973 Dodge Monaco that also had a rear plastic valence that was pretty much junk when I bought the car. I was unable to find a good used plastic one (this was late 2014) so I had my body guy make up one for me from scratch out of steel (in my view, he is really gifted when it comes to metal work and he is a perfectionist!). He faithfully made the valence so it couldn't be distinguished from new. I think I will do that again for this triple black car but for the front one in this case. Here are some photos of the one he made for me back then.........

100_7372-jpg.jpg

100_7379-jpg.jpg

100_7381-jpg.jpg

100_7374-jpg.jpg

upload_2021-7-31_21-59-51.jpeg

I ended up letting this car go to Finland. I wish I had kept it but I still have one 73 Monaco two door left.

Last edited:
I know it can be repaired by a qualified guy. I looked at the car several times , thinking it over. That dent and distance kept me from it. Again, if it were a 71 it would have been here by now.
I don't want that kind of hit on a car I don't need.
The 71 on e bay by comparison I did bid on last time listed. The work needed is much more intense but being a 71 is more important to me.

I understand your reticence on this one Dave since this isn't a gotta have car for me either. I just wanted to make sure its future is well laid out for that someone that will ultimately cherish it and give it a good home. That is ensured by making it so nice that it will get the right buyer eventually.

One thing we all missed in terms of options of this black 72 is that it also has a power bench seat - very rare too...............I really liked the way it was optioned new.

The body code plate, trunk floor and dashpad are shown in photos below. Seller claims the dashpad is crack free but I am not so sure around the corner of the Polara emblem - I will know when it gets here if it makes it this far without cracking on the way.

The trunk floor is really nice and seller claims no rust on the car.

72 Polara Body Code Plate.jpg
72 Polara Dash Pad.jpg
72 Polara Trunk Floor.jpg

This Polara should look good together with another of my favorite 71 300s also in triple black when they are both done..................

2018-07-01-00-04-41-jpg.jpg

The story behind this one is here:

A Long Ordeal for a Fine Car - Triple Black!

On the 300, I have the green light to start taking it apart piece by piece starting in November. The rolling shell of a body will go over to my paint shop next door to my main shop while I will be working on renewing everything else. After looking this car over during the last three years since I bought it, I finally decided it was an original 19K mile car - at first I wasn't sure but now I am more certain it is. I will know for sure when I take the engine apart and check for bore wear. It needs some rear quarter body work and some more minor rust repair but it will be done right.

@saforwardlook — I’ll echo what others have said: DM23T2D145241 is now in the safe hands of someone who knows what she needs down to the last details and has the ability and resources to do it right. That is a great outcome.

Congrats on making the deal!

Wise choice Steve, by all indications this coupe has solid bones...a Texas vehicle that was only on the road 13 years. I'm looking forward to better pics after a good wash and high quality detailing!

Wise choice Steve, by all indications this coupe has solid bones...a Texas vehicle that was only on the road 13 years. I'm looking forward to better pics after a good wash and high quality detailing!

Me too BLIMP!!

One interesting item that I discerned from some of the maintenance records is that the Polara accumulated some 51K miles in its first two years of ownership! The car is owned currently by the seller's cousin and they are liquidating the estate and she needs $$ to fix up her own house. The car has been in storage since the original owner passed away 36 years ago.

I also learned that the damage to the front of the car occurred when a flatbed driver came to remove the car from the garage and it got away from him and crashed into something. He said before that, the car was original in the front. Oh well, if that hadn't happened, I might not have pulled the trigger.

You would think with this fendertag that there was a Y14 or Y16 stamp?

You would think with this fendertag that there was a Y14 or Y16 stamp?

Interesting comment.

The reality is that both of my triple black cars were one owner cars and I believe from what I know about their backgrounds from their younger relatives, the original owners both went into a dealership and placed their orders for maxed-out optioned cars and both gentlemen were black original owners. They obviously cherished them and never sold them. All I can say is they sure knew how to order their cars!

Maybe there is a black gene in my ancestery somewhere??!!

Last edited:
Yea that's a definite giveaway. Do they do this as a in your face I got it first statement or are they just childhood anxious to pic & list it?

I have in the past and still do a lot of estate auctions. 90% of the people that buy anything at an auction are flippers. They buy stuff that they know will sell. Flippers actually do fill an important gap in the re-emergence of past cherished cars.
Flippers will always make extra dollars off of you. That's just how it works.

NO disrespect to flippers. Bring me my Sport Fury GT V please.....I'll pay up.

I have in the past and still do a lot of estate auctions. 90% of the people that buy anything at an auction are flippers. They buy stuff that they know will sell. Flippers actually do fill an important gap in the re-emergence of past cherished cars.
Flippers will always make extra dollars off of you. That's just how it works.

NO disrespect to flippers. Bring me my Sport Fury GT V please.....I'll pay up.

Usually they steal from the seller to make the higher dollar. They do however serve a purpose. In this case no one got raped.

In looking back through my old files today for something else, I found an image of my previous 72 Polara that I sold many years ago. It had a 360 that ran well but was low optioned otherwise which is probably why I let it go back then. Now this black one is coming back to give me more trouble!! I actually thought the brown one looked pretty nice too even with the factory wheel covers................................I do like the factory dark metallic brown color as well in combination with the white vinyl interior and not a white vinyl top in this case. The stance of this car seems just about perfect to me as well - not too low - just right and with white walls. :) It also had a nice front valence still made of plastic in this rare case. The only items I would have preferred on the exterior of this example would have been the cornering lights and a matching right outside rear view mirror.

Overall, in my view, the Dodge design studios did a remarkable job with all their fuselage cars from 1969-72 with the 73's falling behind a little in an effort to transition to the formals, especially in the front ends, with the exception of the Monacos that carried on with a great, unique front end design especially through the 73 models.

2ab65383ab6ac7f486d28c46457c5dca.jpg

Last edited:
Overall, in my view, the Dodge design studios did a remarkable job with all their fuselage cars from 1969-72 with the 73's falling behind a little in an effort to transition to the formals, especially in the front ends, with the exception of the Monacos that carried on with a great, unique front end design especially through the 73 models.

Interesting you say that because I, myself, just can't wrap my head around the headlights. Are the lights lower than in the prior years or the same height? They seem lower to me especially when I see this shot below. I know the valance is missing here. Or does it have something to do with the header panel and is an optical illusion?
01717_kmnAwOcmTS5_1200x900.jpg

Back