WANTED 1973 Chrysler Disc Brake Spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is usually a core charge for the calipers so if you can get the spindles with the calipers you should. Also if they come with then you know A: what all the parts look like assembled and B: that you have all the parts.

At the very least you will want the spindles WITH the caliper adapters ie the brackets the calipers bolt to.

73's are getting scarce as they were a one year only deal but I wouldn't pass on a set of 69-72's if they came along. 4 more years of production so much more plentiful and the only difference is the wheel bearing size.

It used to be a big deal because the early rotor was 2 piece and they were about $100 more $$$ each than the 1 peice 73 rotor. They are now selling the newer style 1 piece rotor machined for the early bearings and they are only about $30 more.

Kevin

There is usually a core charge for the calipers so if you can get the spindles with the calipers you should. Also if they come with then you know A: what all the parts look like assembled and B: that you have all the parts.

At the very least you will want the spindles WITH the caliper adapters ie the brackets the calipers bolt to.

73's are getting scarce as they were a one year only deal but I wouldn't pass on a set of 69-72's if they came along. 4 more years of production so much more plentiful and the only difference is the wheel bearing size.

It used to be a big deal because the early rotor was 2 piece and they were about $100 more $$$ each than the 1 peice 73 rotor. They are now selling the newer style 1 piece rotor machined for the early bearings and they are only about $30 more.

Kevin
I have found the original rotors for the 1968 at $199.00 a piece I am starting to think I should do this rather than continue to search for all these conversion parts.

If those are new Budd rotors, that's a steal!!

The Imperial Club had the rotor hats repopped some years back. The Imperial hub is different than the C-body hub but the hat will fit either hub.

How are your lower ball joints? Inspect them carefully. If they are showing any signs of stress you may want to continue with the conversion as they are even more expensive and harder to find than the rotors.

Kevin

If your ball joints are good to go you can't realistically do the swap for the approx $300 extra the rotors will cost so it's down to how much and "how" do you drive the car.

The downside to the Budd system was that the rotors were solid and thin by today's standards and were very prone to warping if they got heated up from either towing or shall we say "sporty" driving. The other problem was leaking calipers but you've already addressed that.

The 69-73 style rotors are 11.75" x 1.25" and the Budds are IIRC 11" x .800"ish.

Kevin

Hidden Valley out side of Tempe Az. had Three sets of 69' took some photos while there, if you want a look drop me a pm. If no members can help

Will drum brake spindles from a 66 imperial fit on a 73 imperial?

I found some rotors I am going to put back on the factory set. Hopefully this is end of the brake problem. Thanks to all responded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back