1973 Plymouth Fury 360 Crank, No start

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
So after getting the intake and carburetor back on my Fury, I went to fire it up and it was extremely hard to start. The carburetor is set correctly and everything was installed properly. Tons of photos were taken to make sure everything was installed as it was.

After a couple of days of tuning, the car was still hard to start and eventually stopped running with stalling randomly. No it will not start at all, no spark. I checked the voltage in and out of the ICU, it was 11.5v in and 6.73v out, and 6.73v at the coil. So I replaced the ICU and it started again, but hard and would be near impossible to start when hot.

Now with a new ICU, new voltage regulator, and a new alternator it will not run at all. It will crank, but back to no spark. I tried again today to get it going.

The coil is at 6.79v and with the ICU unplugged it is 12.29v with the ICU and voltage regulator unplugged it is 13.11v.
It still has no spark at the coil even with two different coils.

The cap and rotor are new, spark plugs, spark plug wires are new and in the correct order, the ballast resistor tests good, and still no difference with multiple ICUs.

Measuring from the ICU to ground with the key on I get 12.29v

Measuring from the coil to ground with the ICU plugged in 6.67v and ICU unplugged 12.53v

So some how I’m getting a 6v drop between the coil and ICU, and no spark at the coil tower.

A bad ground for the ICU? Is the surface where it it mounted free from rust/gunk/grime? Good luck!

Back