300-H HURST nerd stuff...

Good luck reading it. It looked like it was never taken out under the seat (cloth and leather seats). Let me know what you think. What the heck does "Imp Set Up" mean, first in ball point, then in marker? What does "38 Special Order" mean? Should I put original back under the seat? Thanks.
1. Your BSheet indicates nothing special at all. It's a Y06 "sales bank car", meaning it was built for no particular customer but simply cranked out (like a Camry is done today) and sent to a dealer to be sold to anyone. Thus....nothing special.

2. Every Hurst BSheet I've ever seen has "38 Special Order" at the bottom. I don't know what that would mean specifically, other than these cars were, obviously, specially made to go to Hurst for further work. All Hurst BSheets also so show "Y39 Special Order" and this could mean the Imp interior and/or the deletion of side mouldings or other things to prepare for the Hurst-ization that was forthcoming. Yours has this, upper right corner.

3. Your BSheet shows nothing unusual in the "C Group" which is where interior specs are described. Yours shows "C15 Deluxe Seat Belt", "C21 Center Fold Down Armrest", "C23 Rear Arm Rests", "C55 Bucket Seats", and "C93 Carpet". That's basic Hurst stuff. You do show "R22 AM Radio w 8 Track". Still have it?

4. I see nothing that would show your cloth and leather seats. Is it a production line freak where they stuffed available Newport or 300 seats in there because they didn't have the Imp seats available? Possibly. It's also possible that your entire Imp interior was removed to go into something else during the past 54 years (like a resto for a different Hurst?) and some other Chrysler-Plymouth interior was put back in at a later time. Just guesses. Oh, IMPORTANT DETAIL: Does the passenger bucket recline, meaning there's a small chrome lever on the right side? That would be a clue to it being Imp or lesser Newport seats. Let us know.

5. Why "Imp Set Up"? Just a guess: Your car is the earliest we know about on the our Registry here. Maybe this was done to alert the the line about the Imp interior, before they got used to doing the Hurst thing.

6. Flatten your BSheet with books for a week or so, make a color copy or two, then place the original in a plastic/vinyl protective sleeve, and store it someplace DARK for posterity, like where you keep your title and other car info. Never, ever put it on your dashboard when showing the car....the sun will bleach it out and ruin that old piece of paper (that was never intended to be legible 54 years later) in a few hours. You will be sad.

Let's see what others have to say about my guesswork. Agree, disagree, details, other thoughts?

Last edited:
In 1975 my dad bought a 71 Polara. The dash was cracked and the top of the back seat backs were torn. He had those replaced with some brown vinyl in 77 or so.
I'm loving this thread with no dog in the fight. I wanted to point out interiors baked early under the right conditions and things were replaced, early on .

So HE'S the one! :mad:

Absolutely the one.

In 1998 I was at the ACD festival in Auburn and at the Kruse auction. I wanted the Hurst 300 they had there So So bad but at $7900 I couldn't afford it. Sitting outside in the sunshine unsold. Gorgeous car.

Absolutely the one.

In 1998 I was at the ACD festival in Auburn and at the Kruse auction. I wanted the Hurst 300 they had there So So bad but at $7900 I couldn't afford it. Sitting outside in the sunshine unsold. Gorgeous car.
What was the VIN, VON and Door Date, please?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#233 - 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition

No door tag shown for this one. Auctions off mid May no reserve
That's a great find, thank you. Perfect pic of the FTag....and a pic of the Door Sticker that can't quite be made out. Grrrr..... Anyone a pixel expert out there who could enhance the pic and make it out?

I'll be adding it to the Registry later today. Interesting that it's Cruise, but no N88 on the FTag (which I have on a pic somewhere). It's always something with these Hursts!

It will be fun to watch this auction unfold and see if this very decent survivor sells well.

Last edited:
Perfect pic of the FTag....and a pic of the Door Sticker that can't quite be made out. Grrrr..... Anyone a pixel expert out there who could enhance the pic and make it out?
Never mind about the Door Sticker. I contacted the auction house (Andy is a GREAT guy) and he's getting a pic from the elderly owner's son ASAP.

Andy drove this car and he said it is so comfortable and just floats down the road, no nonsense at all.

Your Broadcast sheet says "Imp. Set Up" because the build order for these cars used the 2 door Imperial front and rear seats, all of them except the one, nothing unusual about this. About half of the Broadcast sheets that I've seen have "Imperial Int" or IMP written on them, it's obvious why.

Also,....Hurst Performance did not make the hood and decklids, they did contract to have them made.

Hurst Performance and Chrysler did not order or have 1,000 extra hoods and deck lids made, as previously stated.

Last edited:
1. Your BSheet indicates nothing special at all. It's a Y06 "sales bank car", meaning it was built for no particular customer but simply cranked out (like a Camry is done today) and sent to a dealer to be sold to anyone. Thus....nothing special.

2. Every Hurst BSheet I've ever seen has "38 Special Order" at the bottom. I don't know what that would mean specifically, other than these cars were, obviously, specially made to go to Hurst for further work. All Hurst BSheets also so show "Y39 Special Order" and this could mean the Imp interior and/or the deletion of side mouldings or other things to prepare for the Hurst-ization that was forthcoming. Yours has this, upper right corner.

3. Your BSheet shows nothing unusual in the "C Group" which is where interior specs are described. Yours shows "C15 Deluxe Seat Belt", "C21 Center Fold Down Armrest", "C23 Rear Arm Rests", "C55 Bucket Seats", and "C93 Carpet". That's basic Hurst stuff. You do show "R22 AM Radio w 8 Track". Still have it?

4. I see nothing that would show your cloth and leather seats. Is it a production line freak where they stuffed available Newport or 300 seats in there because they didn't have the Imp seats available? Possibly. It's also possible that your entire Imp interior was removed to go into something else during the past 54 years (like a resto for a different Hurst?) and some other Chrysler-Plymouth interior was put back in at a later time. Just guesses. Oh, IMPORTANT DETAIL: Does the passenger bucket recline, meaning there's a small chrome lever on the right side? That would be a clue to it being Imp or lesser Newport seats. Let us know.

5. Why "Imp Set Up"? Just a guess: Your car is the earliest we know about on the our Registry here. Maybe this was done to alert the the line about the Imp interior, before they got used to doing the Hurst thing.

6. Flatten your BSheet with books for a week or so, make a color copy or two, then place the original in a plastic/vinyl protective sleeve, and store it someplace DARK for posterity, like where you keep your title and other car info. Never, ever put it on your dashboard when showing the car....the sun will bleach it out and ruin that old piece of paper (that was never intended to be legible 54 years later) in a few hours. You will be sad.

Let's see what others have to say about my guesswork. Agree, disagree, details, other thoughts?

1. Do you mean Y16?
2. Agree. code 38 on the BS is found with many other Y39 cars. It's one of many codes used on BSs. The designation on the sheet is common and expected.
4. Agree to the designation. Disagree with the possibly of it being a freak. IF that was true, then we should expect to see some sort of designation indicating a change at the factory OR if it was changed at Hurst, there would be no way to document it from the BS. Barring any documentation, it's more likely to have been changed during the years. One could look for seat ID tags under to seat to check assembly dates. This would be one way to figure it out.
5. As stated in another post, one should expect to find such markings on a Hurst BS. Also....his is the earliest Hurst VIN you know about. See my post in 157.
6. Good advice. I'd only add: get a high resolution copy or picture of the sheet. A standard paper copy of the sheet could lack detail and poor quality inks can fade also.

Interesting that it's Cruise, but no N88 on the FTag (which I have on a pic somewhere). It's always something with these Hursts!

What was coded, when it was coded, and even where it was coded on a tag varies year to year, plant to plant and even within the model year.

Jefferson plant tags are unique. Their coding protocol is actually closer to the Lynch Road plant than other plants. If you have ANY 70 Jefferson tag that codes N88, I'd like to see it.

1. Do you mean Y16?
2. Agree. code 38 on the BS is found with many other Y39 cars. It's one of many codes used on BSs. The designation on the sheet is common and expected.
4. Agree to the designation. Disagree with the possibly of it being a freak. IF that was true, then we should expect to see some sort of designation indicating a change at the factory OR if it was changed at Hurst, there would be no way to document it from the BS. Barring any documentation, it's more likely to have been changed during the years. One could look for seat ID tags under to seat to check assembly dates. This would be one way to figure it out.
5. As stated in another post, one should expect to find such markings on a Hurst BS. Also....his is the earliest Hurst VIN you know about. See my post in 157.
6. Good advice. I'd only add: get a high resolution copy or picture of the sheet. A standard paper copy of the sheet could lack detail and poor quality inks can fade also.
1. Yes, correct. Y1.......and a 6 printed in the box. Y16.
2. Yeah, I think I've seen it on a pal's A12 RR.
4. "One could look for seat ID tags under to seat to check assembly dates. This would be one way to figure it out." Good idea! And yes, it wouldn't be on the BS because it would have been an issue AFTER it was issued.
5. "The lowest I have on file are in the 192XXX range." Would you like to provide me that info for the Registry? You'll see a lot of additions when I finish my update and post to a new thread, as suggested by Toolman and Joeychgo to me a few days ago.
6. Indeed. But I have found that a simple B&W copy is easier to read/study because you're not distracted by the colors and spring marks that act as camouflage.

Last edited:
So if the seats were changed out years ago, is he just lucky they put the original build sheet back in the “new” seats”?

Seems a little odd that they knew enough to save the “special” build sheet, but didn’t mind changing the seats.

Just wondering.

I'd like to see a photo of "these seats" if they're cloth my head says the inserts were restitched in incorrect material.

Thanks for the in depth info Trace and everyone else too. I'm glad there are people who are experts at this. I'm going to continue to tell everyone that the original interior was probably stolen and replaced with this cloth/leather interior....which I love. This cloth is so soft, feels like silk.

But as HWY stated, I agree it's really weird that I found BS undisturbed which you can see there's no double spring impressions on BS. Maybe people who switched out seats put BS back in cloth leather seats perfectly? I don't know, but I can't prove cloth/leather seats are original, so I'd rather just be negative about it and tell people seats aren't original.

Yeah it still has the 8 track. Buckets don't recline. Car was never restored before me. It was just abused and forgotten before I got it. Again, I really appreciate it. Now I know what I got.

300-2a.jpg

IMG_E3538.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry , I know these vids have been posted before. I have a feeling you might find more than 500 "300 Hursts" out there, which questions, how many fiberglass hoods and decks in total did Hurst make?

Back