383 rebuild

Redhead

Reaction score
After about 8 months in the machine shop, im finally getting my motor back. Labor day weekend is coming up so we will see if i can get it assembled and back in the car by monday night. Fingers crossed i wont have any major hiccups. I'll be sure to take pictures of it in process.

After about 8 months in the machine shop, im finally getting my motor back. Labor day weekend is coming up so we will see if i can get it assembled and back in the car by monday night. Fingers crossed i wont have any major hiccups. I'll be sure to take pictures of it in process.

I don't know if you have this book already, but I just finished reading Big Block Mopar Engines by Don Taylor. It depicts the removal disassembly / re-assembly and installation of a 383 cu. in engine. Lots of helpful hints and tricks . . . AND photos.

I don't know if you have this book already, but I just finished reading Big Block Mopar Engines by Don Taylor. It depicts the removal disassembly / re-assembly and installation of a 383 cu. in engine. Lots of helpful hints and tricks . . . AND photos.
That book is the very reason I successfully assembled my first big block .. seconded for anyone in need of instruction.

That's my Bible.

Well after a disappointing atempt at assembly I made a rookie mistake and broke a piston ring. So im at a stand still untill I get a replacement because no one in town thats open keeps them on hand. Which means this will wait till next weekend before being touched again. Bearing clearances were good. Bottom end is done minus the number 8 piston. Cam shaft is stabbed in. Cant get any photos to upload, sorry

20170902_021530.jpg

I am not for sure but I am afraid you will have to buy a whole set just to get one.

I think there is a pretty cheap special tool you can use to install rings on a piston. Were you trying to do it by hand?
There is a tool to do it, I have always do it by hand and have never broke one. Maybe I am just lucky.

I was definitely tired, working on minimal sleep after a day of slinging stucco on my Uncles house. The machine shop got me a set of rings for one piston for 12 bucks, better than buying the whole set.

Motor made it in the car. Will have to get everything plumbed up tomorow. Broke the exhaust in two today, it was rusted through. I'll have to finagle a fix for that and send it to the muffler shop as long as everything is on the up and up with the engine, tranny, and brakes.

20170909_190129.jpg

Back