62 imperail 413 idles for 20 seconds wont accelerate runs rough hard starting

straightjob

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
hello car sat for a while the 413 cranks fires up runs briefly wont accelerate at all good spark fuel etc i bypassed the ballst resistor and it ran great for a second and then back to the hard starting long cranking , its making me crazy !!! Could the muffler be clogged? im ready to sell it! Thanks

62 8.jpg

62 5.jpg

Is the accelerator pump working? Is the choke working?
Is the gas in the tank old? Don't add to it, will just have more bad fuel.

Muffler probably not "clogged". If you bang on its bottom side, you should hear a metallic noise if a baffle has come loose. Or disconnect it at the front joint. When it does run, check for exit flow from the end of the exhaust pipe at the back bumper.

MIght head off to Academy Sports or similar and get a plastic out-board motor gas tank. Use that to supply gas to the fuel pump so you know it's getting good fuel. Then you can drain what's in the tank and put new in soon.

CBODY67

Muffler probably not "clogged". If you bang on its bottom side, you should hear a metallic noise if a baffle has come loose. Or disconnect it at the front joint. When it does run, check for exit flow from the end of the exhaust pipe at the back bumper.

MIght head off to Academy Sports or similar and get a plastic out-board motor gas tank. Use that to supply gas to the fuel pump so you know it's getting good fuel. Then you can drain what's in the tank and put new in soon.

CBODY67
I replaced the fuel pump carb have a new plastic tank and had the carter 4 bbl rebuilt all new fuel system car runs only @ idle for 30 seconds wont take acceleration shuts down ugh! Im baffled i have to move the distributor towards the right all the way to get it to fire. When it idles its smooth as silk; you think timing chain? IM gping to basic time it and see where #1 is , Any other suggestions the ignition key is kinda loose (switch?) hotwire it? Last night i put the new carb on ran for a few seconds and popped back thru the carb , it hadnt done that before ive never experienced this before im losing my mind, It has new points condensor coil fuel system etc

Condenser! The new one might have been a decent brand, BUT the newer ones have seemed to have a very high failure rate, causing all sorts of problems. Seek out an OLD one that was replaced, or the prior one you replaced, and see if that does make things better. For some reason, the newer ones have a flaky internal connection that just doesn't work.

Just a thought,
CBOD67

Back