65 4 door all doors stuck, cant open

Poly Fury-ous

Reaction score
Recently took ownership of 65 4 dr fury1. been sitting for 20+ years. trunk opens, motor (poly) is not stuck. Brakes are free. This thing is ready to put on the trailer and go home but I can't get in the darn thing. Doors don't appear to be locked (looking at the inside door locks position) but none of the doors will open, can't get the key in either side and can't push the buttons on the handles in to release the latch. Soaking everything with PB Blaster and Marvil Mystery Oil for several week now but not getting anywhere. Anybody have a trick for this or a diagram of the latch mechanism? Really don't want to break any glass as it is all there and in good shape.

Thanks for any help on this.

Screenshot_20240629-211313~2.png

You said the button won't push, but is it out all the way? I have had doors that wouldn't open before because the button was stuck in some and it wouldn't unlock with the button stuck in.

Slim-Jim no worky?
Pull the drive shaft and tow it on home. Then worry about it there. Rollback, tow truck with rear wheel lift, trailer, tow dolly, towbar......
I would jack up the front and set it on a tow dolly with the drive shaft removed, because I happen to have a tow dolly. That car will fit on the used U-Haul dolly I bought from them.
As for getting "into" the car to get the doors open. On some of the old cars I've been able to go in through the trunk and move the back seat out of the way. On others I've removed the front windshield or back glass. Whichever one looks like it's going to most need to be removed anyway.
Once inside, the interior door pulls generally worked when the outside handles didn't.
When they don't work, I move the back seat to the front seat to get to the rear door panels and open the rear doors. Then unbolt the front seat and turn it sideways to get to the front door panels.

Have you tried lifting the lock buttons the old fashioned way?, they may be down a touch, just enough to lock the doors.

It's been discussed before, but not much help here:

And yes, make sure you're using the right key. The Penta-star key.

If it was my car, and it simply would not budge, and you've tried a slim-jim or a custom wire to work the inside door release handle, I would take off a fender to get at the door hinges and unbolt them. It would likely mean you'd have to drill one hole in the fender to get at 1 bolt.

Have you tried to use a stiff wire to try to roll the window down?

You said the button won't push, but is it out all the way? I have had doors that wouldn't open before because the button was stuck in some and it wouldn't unlock with the button stuck in.
One door on the passenger rear does push in but nothing happens, the other three doors only push part way in (less than a third of the way in) Thanks for the reply!

[/URL]

If it was my car, and it simply would not budge, and you've tried a slim-jim or a custom wire to work the inside door release handle, I would take off a fender to get at the door hinges and unbolt them. It would likely mean you'd have to drill one hole in the fender to get at 1 bolt.

[/URL]

Will try the window trick, thanks! Fender removal is also a great idea but I would like to get it home first. Thanks for the post!

Thanks, I was sure the door key and trunk key were the round and only Ignition was the Pentastar. Guess I remembered that wrong. Thanks for the reminder. Neither key will go past halfway in the doors but round key opened the trunk fine. Will try again this week. Thanks a bunch for the intel.

Thanks, I was sure the door key and trunk key were the round and only Ignition was the Pentastar. Guess I remembered that wrong. Thanks for the reminder. Neither key will go past halfway in the doors but round key opened the trunk fine. Will try again this week. Thanks a bunch for the intel.
Keep trying the pentastar key. Use a ton of PB Blaster… report back.

The ignition switch might have been changed at some point, it would be the reason why the key won't work in the door.

When you said you are soaking it down with PB blaster, are you spraying in and around the push button? When I have had issues in the past with stuck handles, I have sprayed it down and lightly tapped the handle with a mallet until the button came all the way out, then the door could be unlocked. I may have had a different issue than you, if the button was pushed there was no resistance on it, spraying it down and tapping on it, you could feel it have resistance and try to push against lever. I hope this helps.

have you tried to open one of the vent windows? i have been able in the past to pry one open without any damage. a small pocket screwdriver through the gasket to pry on the vent lever might work. then you can reach the door handle if your arms are long enough.

Thanks everybody. the update is I can now use the correct key and turn the front door locks so good news is the door key works and the front doors are not locked. The bad news is the doors will still not open. Thinking about trying one of those expandable air bags to put a little separation between door frame and post but worried those things can bend window frame. Anybody every use those? Plan on trying to pull the inside door handle if I can get enough room for the stiff wire or piece of steel strap.

When you said you are soaking it down with PB blaster, are you spraying in and around the push button? When I have had issues in the past with stuck handles, I have sprayed it down and lightly tapped the handle with a mallet until the button came all the way out, then the door could be unlocked. I may have had a different issue than you, if the button was pushed there was no resistance on it, spraying it down and tapping on it, you could feel it have resistance and try to push against lever. I hope this helps.
Great Idea! I will try this too. Thanks

Back