65-66 hood latch adjustment

darth_linux

Reaction score
The hood on my '66 Newport requires a healthy slam to close and creates a loud POP when opening. I'm thinking the adjustment is just a "little" bit off, but I can't figure out what to tweak.

Any tips? If you mention "read the FSM," please include "book, chapter, verse" so I can find it, because I have looked through that Blessed Writ and couldn't find it anywhere . . .

thank you!

What condition are the front corner hood levelers in? Smashed down?

With new or old levelers, the hood should close easily and not have any downward movement from that point. It's a "cut and try" method. The hood should close easily, no slamming, and it should release with just a pull of the fingers.

DO make sure everything is lubed, though, as that can be important for ease of use.

Contrast that to what's in the '68 Buick FSM, where it advocates for a "service station close" where the hood is pulled down and closed "hard". Which those Buicks seemed to be very tolerant of.

As to the hood levelers, adjust them until the front of the hood lines up with the level of the fenders. Then readjust the latch to match that. Might find some new leveler rubbers first.

Like I mentioned, a "cut and try" situation, with a bit of finesse. Do ensure the striker on the bottom of the front of the hood is at a right angle to the front of the hood, too.

Take care,
CBODY67

What condition are the front corner hood levelers in? Smashed down?

With new or old levelers, the hood should close easily and not have any downward movement from that point. It's a "cut and try" method. The hood should close easily, no slamming, and it should release with just a pull of the fingers.

DO make sure everything is lubed, though, as that can be important for ease of use.

Contrast that to what's in the '68 Buick FSM, where it advocates for a "service station close" where the hood is pulled down and closed "hard". Which those Buicks seemed to be very tolerant of.

As to the hood levelers, adjust them until the front of the hood lines up with the level of the fenders. Then readjust the latch to match that. Might find some new leveler rubbers first.

Like I mentioned, a "cut and try" situation, with a bit of finesse. Do ensure the striker on the bottom of the front of the hood is at a right angle to the front of the hood, too.

Take care,
CBODY67
hmmm . . . . I hadn't thought about the rubber baby buggy bumpers . . . I'll give them a look and see what I can see - thanks!

Start with cleaning and lubricating the hood latch. Operated the latch many times by hand to work in the lube.

Don’t use white lithium grease from a spray can, it will harden over time.

How does the hood fit with the fenders when closed? To high, too low, just right?

look at this before changing anything. Then it will tell you if you need to move the latch or the corner bumpers..

The rubber bumpers look to be replaced within the last five years, so that was fine. I ended up moving the hood latch upwards about an eighth of an inch, and that seem to take some of the strain off of the latch, having to go down so far. Working good now. Minimal effort required to latch the hood. Thanks everybody for the tips.

Back