65 Imperial 413

65 Chrysler

Reaction score
Hey guys I saw the Imperial section on this forum but nobody has posted in it since October so I figured I would post this here. I'm trying to restart my 1965 imperial 413 after a long 10 year slumber and I'm having some trouble with it. I rebuilt the carb on it, replaced the fuel pump and filters and I know that the car is getting fuel because I checked the flow of it. The car starts right up and idles a little fast but after i kick it down into a normal RPM it will die after about 30 seconds. I'm thinking that the float bowls might not be adjusted properly and the carb is running out of fuel and then dying. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Junk in the tank, porous old rubber fuel lines sucking air, week fuel pump, clogged fuel filter(s), what you said about float level, etc..
Tell us more details about it such as what carb, how was it driven before you parked it? What did you do to it before you tried starting it? Fresh gas?

fuel delievery issue , cracked rubber hose or just crap in the system . check your fuel pressure some pumps even new ones give up , got one on this new pump new rebuilt motor , just todays new parts some times are junk right out da box .

Thanks for the replies, I believe it is the original carb that the car came with. I also put fresh gas into it this morning. I'll double check the lines and the filters to make sure there is no crud in it.

Have some one watch and see if the choke is coming open too fast. It must be setting for it to start up good and have a fast idle but when you crack the throttle to bring down the idle it may be pulling off to much for a cold engine.
What does it do if you leave it at a fast idle?

With engine running spray some DWI -40 around base of carb and all other vacuum connections. if the engine revs , you have a leak at that point. Dont forget the power booster and the intake itself.

Back