65' Polara instrument voltage reg query

NZPolara

Reaction score
G'day all, have read through the many threads regarding the troublesome c body IVR's, and just had a couple of follow up questions if anyone can help. The fuel & temp gauges in my u.s model 1965 polara are dead, and I suspect the IVR as the primary culprit. Any idea if the regulator is external or built into the fuel or temp gauge on this car? I only have the fsm for a 66'- where it is apparently in the temp gauge. In the case of an internal IVR that has failed, can I just hook up 5v to the 5v output post without messing with the gauge, using a chinesium external reg I conveniently already have - i'd just supply it power off the 12v input post or even a switched source like the radio fuse.

Cheers for your time and expertise

Thanks for that, excellent information in that link - good to know that 3 terminals on the gauge = internal limiter. I'm hoping to pull the cluster tomorrow and see what's what. I probably would use an rte unit if I didn't already have a dc/dc regulator, puts out 3 amp which should be plenty. Here's hoping the gauges survived the failure of the limiter!

I have a copy of the FSM here and can get you good pics of the diagrams if you'd like?
Thanks mate, that would be great if its not too much trouble - i'm hoping I know just enough to get er done but would be awesome to have the correct diagram on hand for future reference!

Problem solved, the limiter was in the temperature gauge. I have an aftermarket temp gauge under the dash anyway so I just took the original gauges 12v feed for the new limiter and fed it to the fuel gauge - which luckily seems to work great. The limiter/regulator has a handy usb port for charging whatever which is cool. I did the "underhood ammeter bypass" while I was at it, another great tip from this forum.
Cheers

Last edited:
Back