66 Fury front suspension

kirkn

Reaction score
I would like to convert my 1966 Fury III to disc brakes front and rear.

Are there OEM spindles, calipers and rotors that can be used to replace the OEM front drum breaks?

Are there any OEM parts to convert the rear drum brakes to disc brakes?

Thanks for the help.

Are there OEM spindles, calipers and rotors that can be used to replace the OEM front drum breaks?

Thanks for the help.

You should be able to find front spindles, rotors and calipers, etc. from a '70 to '73 C-Body. That will give you a bolt-on solution for front disc brakes. I would not bother doing discs on the rear - very little benefit there. Just make sure the rear shoes, drums and wheel cylinders are in good shape and everything is properly adjusted.

@Ross Wooldridge

The normal power front disc brake cars all had 11x2.5" rear shoes. An upgrade from there would be the rear brakes from a HD Drum Brake car, which would be 11x3" rear brakes. So check the width of your current rear brake shoes. The unfortunate thing is that you'll need to find a rear axle with the size of brakes you need and get ALL of the parts, including the backing plates.

If you are of an age demographic which grew up when everything had rear disc brakes, consider that the OEMs made the switch more for ease of assy line assembly, reduced labor to put them on the cars, and that they could get more performance from lighter components (which is a factor in EPA fuel economy ratings). Although fade resistance is an attribute to disc brakes, most drivers do not get anywhere near the limits in that area, by observation.

The other consideration is the supply of new, quality brake drums in the future. To me, this could be a compelling reason in itself, if the car will be driven daily for many more years. If only 3-5K miles/year, not so much, unless this will be your "forever car". Brake drums are "consumables" which can't be reused past a certain wear point. With sales of such decreasing as a natural part of things, it's easy to see where that road will end sometime in the future. One reason for it not to end is that 11x3" and 11x2.5" rear drum brakes were also on many E and B-body muscle cars, which ALSO can command 6-digit prices at auctions when completely correct, as produced, cars.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks for the help.
If you have 4 wheel drums, put on the wilwood disc's all the way around. I can send pics of mine and give tips if interested.

IMG_6404.jpeg

IMG_6408.jpeg

Back