67 Polara - Can I Do Shocks and Struts at Home?

RogueOne

Reaction score
I have a 67 Polara, 383 with Factory Disc Brakes on the front. Can I replace front Struts and Rear Shocks by myself at home? Can’t find a tutorial for a simple replacement anywhere. Most videos deal with a suspension upgrade. The service manual is only a paragraph without any images. Would I need special tools and a blessing from my Minister or is it doable for a tubby shade-tree mechanic like myself? Thanks!

Unless someone made a serious change to yur car —- it is
ONLY Front & Rear Shocks….

There are NO Struts on this car from the factory…..

Rear shocks are a piece of cake.
Front suspension doesn’t have struts. They have shocks and torsion bars.

I replaced the shocks on Elwood, my 68 Plymouth Fury. I was able to get it all done at home with the car on 4 Jack stands.

I did have to loosen the spindles to get the shocks out and in. Be careful doing this as the torsion bars are still loaded when you release the shocks. I put a floor jack underneath the lower control arm.

You might find some pictures on my build thread.

If you get stuck or have questions, post again and be mindful as the torsion bars don’t care about you.

Rear shocks are a piece of cake.
Front suspension doesn’t have struts. They have shocks and torsion bars.

I replaced the shocks on Elwood, my 68 Plymouth Fury. I was able to get it all done at home with the car on 4 Jack stands.

I did have to loosen the spindles to get the shocks out and in. Be careful doing this as the torsion bars are still loaded when you release the shocks. I put a floor jack underneath the lower control arm.

You might find some pictures on my build thread.

If you get stuck or have questions, post again and be mindful as the torsion bars don’t care about you.
Thank you for the head’s up on the Torsion Bars. I’m smart enough to know there’s always something lurking ready to take a huge bite out of you if you don’t know what you’re doing (which I don’t). Will give your build a look. Thank you.

Just unbolt the old ones an remove the old shocks. Replace with the new ones and reattach. Pay attention the way the washers come off.

Get KYB Gas-a-just shocks. You wont be dissapointed.
Tip: Front shocks compress them and zip tie them.
Put them in place, bolt the top and cut zip tie.
Bolt the bottom. Done.
No need to mess with torsion bars, lol

Get KYB Gas-a-just shocks. You wont be dissapointed.
Tip: Front shocks compress them and zip tie them.
Put them in place, bolt the top and cut zip tie.
Bolt the bottom. Done.
No need to mess with torsion bars, lol
That’s what I put in Elwood and when I drove him this past Friday, I was surprised at how smooth the ride was, even on gravel with some washboard.

Rockauto has the KYB gas ajust shocks for $44 (CAD) each. A pair of them shipped to Ontario, with shipping and taxes, comes to $123 CAD.

I myself bought a pair made by "PRT" for $21 each. I haven't driven the car yet with them (I'm still putting the front of the car back together). If I don't like them I can always change them out.

Yes if you tie the rod down there should be enough room to put these in without doing anything to the pivot shaft or torsion bars. The lower mounting will be a tight fit in the lower control arm. You'll need something like a large screw driver or 3/8 tapered rod to center the holes to put the bolt in.

Back