68 300 upgrades from stock (cams/heads etc.)

Agree with the others, I had a '68 300 with a 2.76 rear and it would burn tire pretty easily, it was stock except for a 600 cfm Holley 4160, the Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit, and a dual exhaust. Just make sure the tuneup is reasonable.

Making a C body much quicker requires a ton of compromises, my '68 Fury has gone mid 11's but it is no longer that pleasant of a car to cruise due to the gearing, exhaust and converter, which is what the C bodies do really well.

Agree with the others, I had a '68 300 with a 2.76 rear and it would burn tire pretty easily, it was stock except for a 600 cfm Holley 4160, the Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit, and a dual exhaust. Just make sure the tuneup is reasonable.

Making a C body much quicker requires a ton of compromises, my '68 Fury has gone mid 11's but it is no longer that pleasant of a car to cruise due to the gearing, exhaust and converter, which is what the C bodies do really well.
That’s quick for a c body. Not that I’d go that far in that direction, what did you do to get it there? Thats very impressive.

Long story, but it's a 0.590 mechanical cam 440 with ported 906 heads, 850 Holley, headers, 4500 stall converter, drag radials, 4.10 gears, and a small nitrous kit. A stroker motor is really a better choice, then it would run as well without needing as much gear or converter. It started out running 17's with a 318 in it.

If I remember right my 300 would run low 16's, and that felt decently respectable.

Long story, but it's a 0.590 mechanical cam 440 with ported 906 heads, 850 Holley, headers, 4500 stall converter, drag radials, 4.10 gears, and a small nitrous kit. A stroker motor is really a better choice, then it would run as well without needing as much gear or converter. It started out running 17's with a 318 in it.

If I remember right my 300 would run low 16's, and that felt decently respectable.
That’s very impressive. Kudos to you.

Thanks, appreciate that! There are a couple other fast C bodies on the board, and there were a few on the facebook C body groups too. Most of the fast ones are 65/66 cars, and there is a twin turbo '67 VIP that did Drag Week at least once.

I am running low 14's and 100 mph with 2.93 gears and a small comp 217-221 camshaft, iron heads with 1.6 exhaust valves, no headers and Edelbrock carb. running that fast mostly by doing what everyone is saying not to do.

20230604_194433.jpg

20220512_191535 (3).jpg

Last edited:
To upgrade an 440 on an C body for cruising? Just cruise man. I burn rubber with a 2.76 all day long if I wanted to. But I have found common sense after I have been to the 'brave new world'. Spend your money and love on the optics inside and out. It gives you peace, satisfaction and fullfillness. Dual exhaust? Just accept your love has just one boob.

I'm getting ready to rebuild the HP 440 in my '70 convertible. @david hill is doing the work, and I think this is the cam we will use:

Parts Lookup - Melling CL-MTD-2

David has had excellent results using this "RV" type cam even with a 2.76 gear.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to rebuild the HP 440 in my '70 convertible. @david hill is doing the work, and I think this is the cam we will use:

Parts Lookup - Melling CL-MTD-2

David has had excellent results using this "RV" type cam even with a 2.76 gear.
that cam has less lift than a stock 383-440 HP cam. if I had to use that cam I would use 1.6 rocker arms.

Back