68 Monaco Wagon - work has begun

1Fury1

Slab Side Slacker
Reaction score
I did a lousy job of documenting my Fury I restoration so in an attempt to redeem myself I will be posting this one as it goes along. The Fury was no expense spared whereas now having retired this year I'm being held to a stricter budget this time, so only going as deep as necessary to make it a reliable fun driver.
Overall the wagon is in nice condition. Having been a west coast car the underside is clean with the only rust spot being under the pass rear qtr where the spare tire bulge is. Then of course a crappy re-paint with some amateur body work to be fixed on the rear panel and tail gate. The gas tank has a leak right at the bottom and as I was removing the fuel line I noticed it was leaking as well.

Based on the assessed condition here is the plan:

1. Repair leaking fuel tank and fuel line.
2. Service rear diff (2.76 open), blast and paint housing, backing plates, leaf springs, rear brakes, etc.
3. Once the rear end is back in I will pull the 383/727 and clean everything up. At minimum replace leaking gaskets and paint the engine and engine bay leaving it stock as a 2bbl single exhaust, or depending on the budget maybe a full overhaul, cam it up a bit with a 4bbl and duals.
4. Strip the bright work and send it to the body shop.

I've pretty much decided to take it back to original JJ1 gold with a black flake in it. Wheels will be either 15" magnums, or maybe even step out a little and go with 17" Tq thrusts.

I did post some of these already, but for the sake of this thread I'll go back to the beginning on the way home.
IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

The fuel tank in these wagons don't come out easy being tucked up in the left rear fender. The service manual says to unbolt the left shock and swing the rear end forward a bit to allow the tank to come out the wheel opening. I decided to just take the whole rear end out, service it and make it pretty again.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Car looks great underneath! You're so far ahead when you start off with a nice, solid car.

I've yet to see a wagon fuel tank that wasn't leaking or didn't have some kind of patch on it, so that's a totally normal part of fixing these up.

Jeff

Another ‘68 Dodge. They seem to be the exception rather than the rule around here. Looking forward to seeing the differences between a wagon and my 2dr ht.

I've yet to see a wagon fuel tank that wasn't leaking or didn't have some kind of patch on it, so that's a totally normal part of fixing these up.

Jeff
Yes and it appears nobody makes new ones for these wagons either. Taking it to the radiator shop tomorrow.

Looks like the tank has had some work in the past. Are you going to leave it the same color? Looks like it started life as a tan color.

awesome and congrats on retirement. I retired last January and plan on getting back to my wagon soon. you have a nice solid car to work with there. best of luck. I will be following your progress.

I love all the wagons and will be following. Nice looking car, clean interior. Did it originally have woodgrain and are you going there since you have all the correct trim?

I love all the wagons and will be following. Nice looking car, clean interior. Did it originally have woodgrain and are you going there since you have all the correct trim?
I don’t believe it had wood grain originally but since it’s had a repaint I can’t be sure. I’m told the wood grains are still available but I kind of prefer a monotone. Since it was originally gold I’ll likely stick with a variation of that.

I don’t believe it had wood grain originally but since it’s had a repaint I can’t be sure. I’m told the wood grains are still available but I kind of prefer a monotone. Since it was originally gold I’ll likely stick with a variation of that.

Gold sounds good!

A couple updates on the wagon:
- Fuel tank is repaired, epoxy lined and re-installed. Sender checked out good @ 11 ohms full and 78 ohms empty.
- New fuel line received. Wagon Tip - If any Chrysler, Plymouth, or Dodge wagon guys are looking for fuel lines, Quanta are the only ones I could find and they are only listed under 66-68 Plymouth Fury wagon. It turned out to be identical to the Monaco and I would think the T&C should also be the same.

IMG_0357.jpg

Fuel line.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Since the rear end is out I thought I would replace the air shocks. Old Gabriel Hi-Jackers looked kinda bad so I found a set of Monroe air shocks off eBoy that looked like a good deal. The ad said they would fit a 68 Monaco but they are 6 or 7 inches shorter than the old Gabriels and the new air lines are crap. My bad for ASSuming. Looks like not such a wise purchase, especially considering the garbage air lines and fittings that came with the Monroes.

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Gabriel air lines are 3/16". Crimped on ferrules with springs and o-ring
IMG_0338.jpg

New air lines that came with the Monroe shocks. 1/8" and a single o-ring
IMG_0336.jpg

The fuel tank does look great, pull the shocks down or give them some air to extend them out.

wow very cool If you happen to see another 67 or 68 Monaco wagon IM LOOKING FOR ONE. My parents had a black one with wood and a burgundy interior. It doesn't have to be exactly like that, but i want a nice build able wagon kinda like yours..

THANKS SALVAGE04@AOL.COM

Back