68 New Yorker headers?

jessewayne

Reaction score
Hello I’m currently looking for headers for my 1968 Chrysler New Yorker 440.
Is tti the only ones that will bolt up no issues? I’d rather not spend 1100+ for headers but if that’s what I gotta do so be it. Thanks

IMG_1452.jpeg

I used a set of unknown (I don't remember which brand name) B Body headers on my 68 Newport with no clearance issues. I may have had to ding a tube or two.

Why would you put headers on a New Yorker?
Looking at the car, the money is best spent elsewhere.
Headers? Jeezes H. Murphy...
Haha because I need them for the ported heads and purple shaft cam that’s going in it. I know this isn’t a show car YET I’d rather it run and sound good first.
It’s my car so ima do it my way.

With those engine calibration changes, better upgrade the brakes and suspension to handle that power, TOO!

Be sure to use the reinforced header gaskets to decrease the probability of future header gasket leaks. Might even consider the special header bolts to keep them from getting loose?

The TTI headers might be expensive, but they have been the go-to Chrysler Corp C-body headers for a very long time. Only thing is the under-car systems are not specifically for each different wheelbase, so some alterations might be needed.

It IS also possible to have great flow and it not be noisy. '72 Imperial mufflers have the larger pipe inlets and outlets, with basically Street HEMI muffler flow and a bit quieter sound. Certainly NOT that raspy (think 5.0L Fox-body Mustang) sound! Plus, they are correctly sized for C-body cars! Getting larger diameter pipes over the rear axle is tricky, which is where TTI's expertise can come in handy.

The 1969 Polara/Monaco 440HP cars came with the Chrysler Corp Street HEMI mufflers under then from the factory. Had enough flow to let those cars make enough power to run 150mph in the certified Michigan State Police Car Tests. That ought to be enough exhaust flow for your application, no doubt. That speed record stood until the later Camaro TPI police packages of the 1990s, with the Camaros only going about 2mph higher.

PLEASE understand that to many in here, a "New Yorker" was the nicest, most luxurious car Chrysler Corp built, other than the "better" Imperial. Not something to build a "loud hot rod" out of, but for great comfort and great highway handling with very substantial engine power that would easily last 100K miles with very little problems. 300s were the "performance Chrysler", by comparison. Although, many New Yorkers were "trashed" in order to put their factory 440s into B-body cars, in earlier times. Or in the case of the earlier 1960s, to use for parts to restore the massively-more valuable 300 Letter cars of back then. So, to some, putting a loud engine, with a 2800rpm stall speed converter TF, with a loud exhaust into a New Yorker is "out of character" with the initial intent of that model from Chrysler, being more suited to a Plymouth Fury or Dodge Polara, or even Chrysler Newport, by comparison.

Enjoy spending your money!
CBODY67

That’s understandable, Well In my case I can’t afford a A or B body as I work check to check ,so I settled with my New Yorker. In fact I cashed out on vacation time to get parts for this car. Not everyone has the funds or time to factory restore a car or even a shop to work in, I work in the gavel driveway. I’m 27 I want my car loud and different. Don’t plan on selling this rig so maybe someday I can have it look and sound like the day it rolled off the line. This car would be scrap metal or parts if I didn’t get it. I’m doing the best I can with what I have.
I’m not leaving my money for anyone else so yeah I’ll enjoy spending it!

I have those Hooker headers on the 440 in my Fury. As far as headers go, they fit really well and are one of the best sets I've had. Plug access is still super easy and I haven't burned any wires.

I do have a set of TTI 1 7/8" C body headers waiting to go on my car when the 540 goes in. TTI is the only other option I know of that doesn't require modification. The clearance to the torsion bars is actually worse on a C body compared to a B, so without spending custom header money there isn't anything available bigger than 1 7/8" for primaries.

MAKE as much money as you legally can, period, for the next 40 years, then you'll have a good Social Secuity account to draw on comfortably, to pay the bills, at least. Anything above that is "gravy". DO put money into a good retirement account, too! Better to get those things done quickly while you're young, by observation.

It might not be apparent now, BUT "families" tend to happen, too! Lots of dynamics, there.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

That’s understandable, Well In my case I can’t afford a A or B body as I work check to check ,so I settled with my New Yorker. In fact I cashed out on vacation time to get parts for this car. Not everyone has the funds or time to factory restore a car or even a shop to work in, I work in the gavel driveway. I’m 27 I want my car loud and different. Don’t plan on selling this rig so maybe someday I can have it look and sound like the day it rolled off the line. This car would be scrap metal or parts if I didn’t get it. I’m doing the best I can with what I have.
I’m not leaving my money for anyone else so yeah I’ll enjoy spending it!
I ran those super comp headers on my 70 Polara for years.Still have the same set (and a new set) that will be going on my 72 Newport soon. I switched to the Tti on my Polara and the 1 7/8 tubes promptly slowed it down. Heavy car with not a lot of gear,I like the 1 3/4 Hooker Super Comp headers better.

My 68 Chrysler 300 had hedman shorty headers on it and they will work fine as well. A good 2.5 exhaust system and you will be good to go.

Hedman Hedders 78070 Hedman Street Headers | Summit Racing

The B/RB Tri-Y Headers will work also.

Last edited:
Back