dude69300

Reaction score
Contact seller
IMG_4827.PNG
IMG_4828.PNG
IMG_4826.PNG
IMG_4825.PNG
1969 CHRYSLER 300
Not sure if this has been posted before, This should be a clean one, it's from New Mexico, with a good cleaning it would be a nice driver. The usual vinyl top problems, but it looks like no rust thru beneath it. The pic of the rear driver quarter looks a bit strange but I think it's just a reflection in the paint.
48,787 miles on it, manual a/c, and only $3750

Wow, i'd be on that. Nice car. Weird that both door panels have the same damage. I'd also ask for a discount since it can only be run on leaded fuel.

The damage on the right front fender, and on the left quarter panel look like the car was squeezed into a cramped garage. The paint is not damaged. Pretty expensive to repair, though.

But modern gas will cause lots of other issues if not treated.

Actually now that I think about it so am I, the valves were pretty sunk in my convertible.

looks nice and clean. Hardened valve seats to run modern shitty gas.

Hardened valve seats in 1969? Several years before gas was changed? Are we being facetious :poke:

I know Ford started induction hardening the seats in 1972 but when did Mopar. If I remember correctly unleaded gas started to be shown the door in 1974.

With limited normal use valve recession is really not an issue in older vehicles. It does become an issue when higher demands are placed on the vehicle. I tow a vintage RV with a 69 318 that's coming up on 100K and he still runs smooth and has plenty of power to do the job. All I do is use mid grade or sometimes premium gas and add a few ounces of marvel oil every few tankfuls.
When the heads do come off they will be upgraded to hard seats if I don't swap to magnum heads.

With limited normal use valve recession is really not an issue in older vehicles. It does become an issue when higher demands are placed on the vehicle. I tow a vintage RV with a 69 318 that's coming up on 100K and he still runs smooth and has plenty of power to do the job. All I do is use mid grade or sometimes premium gas and add a few ounces of marvel oil every few tankfuls.
When the heads do come off they will be upgraded to hard seats if I don't swap to magnum heads.
"limited" is the key word here I suspect. Wish you could've had a word or two with my 906s....could've save me a bunch of money.

Hardened seats began well before unleaded, perhaps as early as '72.

There's a school of thought that unless you pull heavy loads for long periods, such as a truck, you do not need the hardened seats. I have seen people not run them and never have a problem. I have seen people run them and have valve seat recession anyway. (It can occur and have nothing to do with gasoline quality.) But the idea you can't drive a car in 2017 on modern gas is just a way to sell snake oil.

You can with "limited normal use".

You realize valve seats wear out in brand new 2017-made heads as well? In other words some percentage, old and new will see the seats pounded into oblivion. I see it all the time. The question is, will this occur prematurely in an old engine running unleaded fuel?

The answer is perhaps.

A serious enough, widespread issue that I'd spend coin to modify an otherwise healthy engine? Not me. If I was redoing the heads? Sure. And if I'm wrong, what has been lost? The seats that would have been cut out anyway?

[QUOTE="Carmine, post: 467406, member: 3979"

A serious enough, widespread issue that I'd spend coin to modify an otherwise healthy engine? Not me. If I was redoing the heads? Sure. And if I'm wrong, what has been lost? The seats that would have been cut out anyway?[/QUOTE]

That makes sense and what I do when the heads come off for rebuilding. I decided I didn't like the new aftermarket heads on the Cougar and decided to rebuild the original J code heads after dealing with the restricted exhaust port. Down at the shop I'm talking with the guy who only does heads and as we slipped in the original valves, disassemble several years ago, both of us noticed have far in they went down in the seat. This is a set of 100,000 mile heads running 75,000 miles on leaded and 25,000 miles on unleaded with a 10.5:1 compression ratio with higher lift cam for the last 25,000 miles.

Ethanol is not good at all for the fuel system on these Vehicles period especially if it's over 10%. It eats vintage rubber hose, o-rings and seals, rusts steel like tanks and lines with the rate that it absorbs moisture and even voids warranties on aftermarket parts such as Edelbrock carburetors. It also has a lower boiling point then pure fuel. So snake oil my ***.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back