69 polara 4dr exterior door handles

polarnj

Reaction score
Are these the same as any other mopar model from that time, or can you get repros? This is a 4 dr hardtop

@polarnj -- welcome to a 1969 New Jersey Polara owner. @polara71 is based in NJ and loves fusie Polaras

As to your question: have a look at the parts manual for your car here. You can then check for all the P/D/C models that interchange.

There has been some debates on this but for the most part the exterior handles are the same across the board (Furys are different). I have just swapped out the internal hardware (screws to the outside handle). Likewise front to rear, I purchased NOS handles for different cars and had luck swapping the internal lever.

Alan

If you look at the OEM production items under a strong light, at an angle, you can see sand marks under the chrome. This is unique to all OEM handles. The repros are slicker without the sand marks, which makes them look "odd" to me, plus the color of the chrome and texture is different. I like the OEMs when possible.

CBODY67

@polarnj -- welcome to a 1969 New Jersey Polara owner. @polara71 is based in NJ and loves fusie Polaras

As to your question: have a look at the parts manual for your car here. You can then check for all the P/D/C models that interchange.

Thank you for the info! Can't have enough C body fans here in NJ
What is P/D/C?

There has been some debates on this but for the most part the exterior handles are the same across the board (Furys are different). I have just swapped out the internal hardware (screws to the outside handle). Likewise front to rear, I purchased NOS handles for different cars and had luck swapping the internal lever.

Alan

Are they the same as say a Charger, or are the front and back different? Also can you get new ones for front or back?

Are they the same as say a Charger, or are the front and back different? Also can you get new ones for front or back?
I don't recall what the applications were.
What makes the front and rears different in the lever on the inside, reuse your original lever.

This is the inside lever that I am referring to. In my opinion this is what make the handles different.
2017-02-19_002.jpg

Alan

A major thing which makes the handles different is the shape of the door panel they attach to and/or the black spacer/gasket that goes between them and the body.

One handle can fit many IF the shape of the sheet metal contours they touch happen to be the same OR a specific spacer/gasket is used to adapt the more-universal handle to the sheet metal on the door. To me, this is the main issue at hand.

One the manufacturer side of things, replacement parts are usually sold for installation "as is", rather than needing transfer of particular items onto them from the old part. In the field, if these things are known, this gets into the "will fit IF . . . " orientation of things, as mentioned above.

One famous online parts retailer has been guaranteeing that their parts "fit your car". Nothing wrong with that! BUT then some parts were noted "Exactly fits your car, with modifications". Which decoded to "It's a universal fit part that needs to be customized (by you) to exactly fit your car". FWIW

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back