NOT MINE 71 Chrysler 300 2dr sunroof car, project, $6000 obo Nuevo, CA ( ebay)

fury fan

Reaction score
@saforwardlook @ayilar
cs23t1c227546

1971 Chrysler 300 Series | eBay

1719442156889.png

1719442174486.png

1719442207943.png

1719442288446.png
1719442252416.png

1719442221867.png

1719442230305.png

1719442239382.png

1719442266913.png
1719442333153.png

These pics kinda suck, and seller's description doesn't help much.

Located in Nuevo California, body is good not a bunch of rust . a little but not bad at all. It does run and has a transmission .
Will get some good pictures asap. It has been park but starts right up.
Please ask what you like and I will get back to you asap.
Also I have original engine not together but could be rebuilt and original front seats to car. 440 engine.

MAKE AN OFFER

Relist link:
1971 Chrysler 300 Series | eBay

(@ayilar - this is the car I mentioned to you, and my obligation to you regarding it is now satisfied :poke:)

1719442403114.png
1719442427910.png

Thank you @fury fan -- sunroof cars are rare. The eBay link has been updated:

From the ad:

"Located in Nuevo California, body is good not a bunch of rust . a little but not bad at all. It does run and has a transmission .
starts right up. (...) I have original engine not together but could be rebuilt and original front seats to car. 440 engine.
"

It may be worth adding the car to the sunroof Mopar directory: @saforwardlook @sdweatherman @kmccabe56

Updated with no trim tag.
Must be several of us here asking him questions suddenly. 3 people watched the item in the last 24 hours.

I actually went to inspect this car about a month ago shortly after the listing came out. I have been mulling it over in terms of making an offer to her but I am at this point not inclined to buy it. It needs a full restoration and probably a decent parts car to complete a restoration. The body is indeed pretty free of rust given that it is a California car from what I could tell and the undercarriage seems pretty rust free too (it sits pretty close to the ground so I couldn't inspect it fully). But the car has plenty of dents and the body side trim is mostly unusable due to damage.

The car currently has a motor home engine in it and it does run. The original numbers matching engine is also in her yard but the heads are off and the engine block has been exposed to the elements for what looks like many years now and has plenty of rust in the cylinder bores and the heads are similarly rusty. I sent a couple of photos of what was there to my engine rebuilder while I was looking the car over and he said he felt the engine was savable but it would likely require placing a number of sleeves in the block to save it - and he said he felt it could then be a very good engine with the biggest drawback being the expense, but overall he was not negative to doing so. Alongside the engine was also its numbers matching transmission that could likely be rebuilt. I relayed this to her (the seller) as well and she put that conclusion in her new listing from what I could learn while talking to her.

The interior is pretty trashed given that the front seats have been replaced with some power seats that might have come from the motor home from which the engine came from - the original rear seat is in place but it needs redoing too. She has the original bucket seats but they too have been out in the elements and as a result are in bad shape and since this car is highly optioned it also has power right a left bucket seats and the motors and associated mechanisms were very rusty to the point of needing a set of new power mechanisms. The console was well worn but still probably useable with some better parts applied. The dash panel is pretty trashed as well and would need everything renewed.

In my eyes, the 1971 Chrysler 300s are the best looking and driving C bodies although I am well aware that I am in the minority (I also feel Imperials are close behind). I feel the Dodge Polaras and Monacos and the Sport Furys are excellent too but my nod goes to this model as the best styled and a much more quiet cabin than all but the Imperials. I like a good ride and handling tradeoff in the Chryslers and I also want a quiet cabin and a quiet engine when cruising down the highways. I worked for Chrysler for a little over a decade and my permanent assignment was the fuel systems department while at Chrysler. The Holley rep that was stationed in the fuel systems lab full time also had one of these assigned to him in 1971 (he specked it out himself though) and we went to lunch frequently in it - his first choice also was a highly optioned 71 Chrysler 300 with just about every option including a sunroof and for me it was the nicest overall car I have ever been in. That experience really affected my overall perceptions of the car. Surprisingly about 7 years ago now, I found an identical car in Colorado that actually could have been his former car and it too has a sunroof and all the options. I will indeed give that one a full restoration as well if I am around long enough and keep the Tahitian Walnut body color and vinyl roof/sunroof it has as well. My other sunroof cars are in the sunroof registry and have appeared here in the past as well. Like @cuda hunter though, I personally feel aztec gold is my favorite body color for the 71 Chryslers. Also, like the one I rode around in when in Detroit, my car has an am/fm stereo radio too, but that does not show up on its body code plate (R35)

Here is the body code plate for the one for sale:

1719465886741.png

Here is a photo of a 71 Sport Fury in Aztec gold that is like new and also one of my favorite models and also has a sunroof:
1719467687063.png

Last edited:
Listing already ended. Guess someone made an offer locally? I agree, the '71 300 is probably my #1 favorite Chrysler. A '71 U-code is high on my list to own someday.

That sport fury is awesome!
Thanks for the write up on the car for sale. Very unfortunate with a few bright sides.
Hope someone with the skill picks it up and works it.
Thanks for the tag info!

Where can we see details on the 300 sunroof optioned out car you found here in Colorado?

Listing already ended. Guess someone made an offer locally? I agree, the '71 300 is probably my #1 favorite Chrysler. A '71 U-code is high on my list to own someday.
In looking at Facebook this afternoon, the listing is still present and there is a listing on Ebay still present.

Last edited:
That sport fury is awesome!
Thanks for the write up on the car for sale. Very unfortunate with a few bright sides.
Hope someone with the skill picks it up and works it.
Thanks for the tag info!

Where can we see details on the 300 sunroof optioned out car you found here in Colorado?
Go to Scott's sunroof registry for mopars and look at the 1971 C bodies category: https://moparsunroofregistry.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/sunroof1971chryslercars.pdf

On that page my sunroof cars are the lemon twist 1971 Chrysler New Yorker with 440HP, The Aztec Gold 1971 300 also with 440HP, the Tahitian Walnut 1971300 with standard perf. 440,and the Turquoise 1971 Newport.
Here is the body code plate for the Tahitian Walnut car:

1719535520952.jpeg

Lived in California for my entire life, except for two years in Nevada. I've never heard of Nuevo. Had to look it up.

Lived in California for my entire life, except for two years in Nevada. I've never heard of Nuevo. Had to look it up.
Don't feel alone @Snotty as I hadn't heard of it ever before either and actually I was kind of shocked that it felt like a different State - it is something like 1-1/2 hour drive for me and it was wide open plains and no traffic at all and gorgeous mountain views in the distance. Overall it felt like a farming area, far different from where I live.

Don't feel alone @Snotty as I hadn't heard of it ever before either and actually I was kind of shocked that it felt like a different State - it is something like 1-1/2 hour drive for me and it was wide open plains and no traffic at all and gorgeous mountain views in the distance. Overall it felt like a farming area, far different from where I live.
Did you feel like you were in a Mannix episode? I know, I know, this is a 1970 300 convertible, not a 1971 300 hardtop.

1719597608525.png

Did you feel like you were in a Mannix episode? I know, I know, this is a 1970 300 convertible, not a 1971 300 hardtop.

View attachment 668529

Not at all, it was a peaceful drive with no traffic and mainly a farming community - I felt no threats at all, met a lot of friendly folks at the destination. That area is close to the southern border but I personally have never felt any threats from that either - mainly just hard working people looking for a better life despite the political rhetoric to the contrary.

Not at all, it was a peaceful drive with no traffic and mainly a farming community - I felt no threats at all, met a lot of friendly folks at the destination. That area is close to the southern border but I personally have never felt any threats from that either - mainly just hard working people looking for a better life despite the political rhetoric to the contrary.
Oh, I made a poor choice of photos: fear/threats is not at all what I wanted to convey -- what I meant is, many Mannix scenes are filmed in rural California, the above scene was shot in such a setting, and it is great to know that some of that landscape is still around!

Back