78 NYB w/ 4k miles not for sale

More comments, don't expect it to last long as it is no longer in 'climate controlled' storage.
New owner lives in Nebraska and with a steel carport and plastic cover IMHO wont fare well this winter.
Thomas Ridder Author
Thank you for those words, I’m certainly overwhelmed by the response. It’s in storage for the winter, first thing to do in the spring, flush and replace all fluids.

1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham with 3,809 actual miles.051.jpg

Im gonna hate to see what the asking price might be!, either way to much or not enough, but my 300 is breaking me so wont be able to afford it anyway!!

Im gonna hate to see what the asking price might be!, either way to much or not enough, but my 300 is breaking me so wont be able to afford it anyway!!
I was trying to decipher the registration form and thought the about $8/9k price and later on in the comments the owner said "It's hard to believe the MSRP on this car was around $8900.".
No answer when he was questioned as to if he had the window sticker (I'm surprised it wasn't still on the window).
He hasn't fessed up to where/how he got, and that was asked many times.

(edit) He's been eyeballing that Hemmings car @48k$. (he made a comment about it)

More comments, don't expect it to last long as it is no longer in 'climate controlled' storage. (...)

No, I wouldn't expect the car to suddenly start deteriorating. It's got that sturdy shower cap on it.

Besides, it'll probably be given a once-over before it hits BaT or Mecum in the spring.

No, I wouldn't expect the car to suddenly start deteriorating. It's got that sturdy shower cap on it.

Besides, it'll probably be given a once-over before it hits BaT or Mecum in the spring.
Extreme cold, warm moist air, extreme cold, and warm moist spring air equals condensation, condensation, condensation,... rinse & repeat. I've seen vehicle's stored like this, it doesn't end well in just 1 winter. He'd be better off storing it in a wooden structure and (maybe) with one of those fancy high priced breathable car covers, but I've read that those don't work well against the condensation.

I thought I was lucky when I found a 78, 440 car with only 12,800 miles. I’ve had it for four years she’s currently got just over 20,000.

IMG_6072.jpeg

Reference quality. Should be documented heavily with pics for restorers, as these cars are now the next in line for serious restorations.

Unusual that the car was optioned without skirts. Rare, but not unheard of. I only recently found out that in 77 or 78 (?) skirts became an option on the Brougham when they were standard before. I had always thought they were standard, and that there was an assembly line error with mine...

Probably 25 years ago I bought a triple white 78 NYB (also optioned without skirts) - had only 26,000 miles on it. Previous owner had been having trouble getting it to run right, and had parked it under a tree.

He said, "You can have it for $200 but you have to get it out of here."

I took the air cleaner off, reattached all the vacuum lines that had been unplugged (probably why it wouldn't run), checked the fluids, looked for other obvious issues, poured some gas down the carb, hit the key and it fired right up.

With sagging shoulders the owner took my money and I drove it home.

Cleaned it up, put a new headliner in it, did brakes and a couple of other minor mechanical tweaks, certified (provincial safety certificate) and sold it for $2,500. Not bad!

Pic taken at one of the Mopar Spring Flings in Mississauga - that's my turquoise 66 Monaco behind it.
View attachment 637829
Chrysler felt like they'd been caught flat footed when GM came out with their downsized "big" cars. So for '78, the fender skirts became an option in the belief that the might NYB looked somehow "lighter" with out skirts on it. This was relayed to me by a now deceased friend who worked in design at Chrysler. Wishfull thinking on Corporate's part, but sadly not unusua.

More comments, don't expect it to last long as it is no longer in 'climate controlled' storage.
New owner lives in Nebraska and with a steel carport and plastic cover IMHO wont fare well this winter.
Thomas Ridder Author
Thank you for those words, I’m certainly overwhelmed by the response. It’s in storage for the winter, first thing to do in the spring, flush and replace all fluids.

View attachment 637960

It's wrapped in plastic? Why not just rap it in 600 grit sandpaper and be done with it?

Gorgeous car in the right colours...pity about the lack of skirts. Incredible preservation. Astonished at no evident varmint damage.

Extreme cold, warm moist air, extreme cold, and warm moist spring air equals condensation, condensation, condensation,... rinse & repeat. I've seen vehicle's stored like this, it doesn't end well in just 1 winter. He'd be better off storing it in a wooden structure and (maybe) with one of those fancy high priced breathable car covers, but I've read that those don't work well against the condensation.

I’ve had my vehicle in my garage sitting on top of a huge tarp folded over. I have one of those fancy breathable covers lol. I start it once a month and drive it if there’s no salt on the roads even if there’s snow, I’ll start it drive it up and down my driveway a few times and park it again, the underneath the car is still pristine like the day came from the factory. I must be lucky. The car is driven in the summer quite a lot.

I’ve had my vehicle in my garage sitting on top of a huge tarp folded over. I have one of those fancy breathable covers lol. I start it once a month and drive it if there’s no salt on the roads even if there’s snow, I’ll start it drive it up and down my driveway a few times and park it again, the underneath the car is still pristine like the day came from the factory. I must be lucky. The car is driven in the summer quite a lot.
In your cars gallery photos of the underside view of the gas tank and rear axle that is exactly the rust & corrosion I'm talking about, I really don't think it rolled off the assembly line looking like that. But lets see more... like do photographic angles same as this car of the engine bay so we can compare.

In your cars gallery photos of the underside view of the gas tank and rear axle that is exactly the rust & corrosion I'm talking about, I really don't think it rolled off the assembly line looking like that. But lets see more... like do photographic angles same as this car of the engine bay so we can compare.

The undercarriage was painted. All it had was very very light surface rust on the floor pans and the rear axle. The gas tank is completely original. The engine bay is completely original. I don’t know if the original owner painted the wheel wells. We only painted the brake vacuum cylinder whatever you call it lol. I also believe the vehicle itself had some paint work done. My vehicle retains all the chalk marks from the factory.

Resized_20211103_090837.jpeg

Resized_20211109_095212.jpeg

Resized_20220421_111725.jpeg

Resized_20220421_111752.jpeg

Resized_20220316_150917.jpeg

Resized_20211109_095251.jpeg

IMG_7281.jpeg

IMG_7276.jpeg

Resized_20220314_143826.jpeg

Resized_20220310_162505.jpeg

Back