81 Imperial crank conundrum

Jimmy Jippy

Reaction score
Hello, recently posted about my starter not working and the cranking issue. I got it pushed outside and started to crank with gas to no avail. Now when I turn the key it only makes a very fast clicking noise, so I’m at somewhat of a loss on what to do. My thoughts are to possibly check for parasitic power draw that could cause it to not even have enough juice, or could I have gotten a bad starter?

When you say "crank with gas" does that mean you have gas being delivered to the engine or did you pour some down the throat? Batt is prob toast from cranking.. check your batt connections too. A dirty connection can play tricks on you. So no spark still?

Sounds like a possible flaky starter to me. Is the new battery fully charged, as in it has been on a battery charger until the charger kicked-off? Make sure about this before condemning the starter.

"New" batteries are not fully-charged as they sit in the auto supply store in a rack. Usually only about 60%, or enough to start the car the first time and then let the alternator finish the job of getting it to 100% charged.

usually a clicking solenoid happens when the battery is so run down that it cant keep the solenoid engaged...if you keep cranking and cranking without the engine starting sooner or later you'll kill the battery...recharge it before troubleshooting further...bad battery terminals, cables, corroded connections will also restrict available power and cause the battery to act dead sooner

Back