A new respect for Stan

D Cluley

Reaction score
You've mentioned a few times the tight quarters in and under the dash in the Formals.

Well, I pulled the cruise control setup from the world's most disgusting '74 New Yorker at my local U-Pull yesterday.

Took several minutes just to FIND the brake switch. I eventually got it out, but snapped off the threaded part! :BangHead: Since I'm hoping to use this in my Dart I'll have to fabricate a bracket anyway, so it may be usable.

The car was rusty enough that I briefly considered hacking through the firewall and getting at it from under the hood!

Once again, I am sooo glad my '65 doesn't have A/C.

My heart still goes out in memory to all the assembly line workers who lost their sanity in installing the instrument panels of those %^$# things.

My heart still goes out in memory to all the assembly line workers who lost their sanity in installing the instrument panels of those %^$# things.

I'm still learning/experimenting with that damn dash.

Taking it apart is bad enough. Trying to put it back together is like stuffing 10 lbs. of potatoes into a 5 lb. bag.

Take away all the ductwork , the ATC II crap, the 40 miles of 2" thick wiring harnesses, and it's not bad....

There is likely less BS in the older Chryslers, but I think it still was the biggest PITA in this project. You can figure on adding 4-5 wounds gouged into knuckes and the back of your hands doing this. Big paws are a detriment here.

You definitely don't want any little kids around when you are putting one of these things together, or you would certainly be adding to their vocabulary. My biggest surprise with this was the weight compared to a B-body.

'67 NewYorker Apr-May 2006 (36).jpg'67 NewYorker Apr-May 2006.jpg

'67 NewYorker Apr-May 2006 (36).jpg

'67 NewYorker Apr-May 2006.jpg

There is likely less BS in the older Chryslers, but I think it still was the biggest PITA in this project. You can figure on adding 4-5 wounds gouged into knuckes and the back of your hands doing this. Big paws are a detriment here.

You definitely don't want any little kids around when you are putting one of these things together, or you would certainly be adding to their vocabulary. My biggest surprise with this was the weight compared to a B-body.

Yep. You nailed it!

I had to take the whole interior and dash board apart once tracing a short in my '67 Newport. I was 20. My A.D.D. saved my life on that project because it made me start as early as possible and vowed to find the short and reassemble everything by dusk. One task, one focus. Failure is not an option. I finished at dusk.

Oh, and it was outdoors in the winter.....

137743 2003  no interior right.jpg

After removing many of these on Polaras I have little trouble messing with them.

The formals probably have twice as much wiring but thats just a guess since I never have been under one.

137743 2003  no interior right.jpg

Taking them out was the easy part, everything falling in the wrong spot when putting them in is what sucked for me.

Looks like you are in a really nice neighborhood. Do you still have the cat?

137743%202003%20%20no%20interior%20right.jpg

137743%202003%20%20no%20interior%20right.jpg

:laughing4::laughing4: Well I'm glad we didnt chase you off when you first got on here because you sure as hell make me laugh a bunch:laughing4::laughing4:

Putting them back together was never a problem either, it becomes simple when you do it enough

You can't strip it down any further than that. LOL! Have fun putting that back together!

Mine is already back together, mostly. It was stripped and underway when I found the Orange car. I bought the Orange car and put the white car back together knowing damn well it would be years before I could do the white car

Back