a new toy

Jeff

Reaction score
I've had my eye on this truck for a few years. It's on one of my running/walking routes. I saw the owner's wife outside a couple weeks ago and asked them to get hold of me if they decided to sell. I got a call a few days later and made the deal yesterday. Should be fun!
2017-11-26 12.22.35.jpg

[QUOTE="Jeff, I might try to figure out how to keep it without it getting worse.[/QUOTE]

Can't happen, even in Arizona. Some try clear coats but then it's not a natural patina.
Maybe wipe it down with light oil now and then.
Great truck, I love it. Restore to original and paint. much nicer.

Those old IHC trucks are indestructible, I know after trying very hard to wear out my old '70 short wheelbase HD 4x4. The only body problems were splits, the steel was so heavy it would develop stress cracks. Every year or so I'd take a drill and punch a hole at the end of the crack to stop it's growth. That truck had leaf springs front and rear, the ride was "rough" but with 4x4 and Dana power lock front and rear, it would go anywhere. I used to say it would climb a tree if the bark didn't tear off! Best truck I ever owned!!

Every fall I'd load 10w30 in a sprayer and spray the underside getting oil into every nook and cranny. Dripped for awhile, but didn't rust. LOL

IHC used TQuads on some of their '73-era Traveall V-8s and 4-speed TorqueFlites in their garbage trucks. I saw one of those transmission laying on the floor of a trans shop in the later '7os.

Neat TRUCK, not truck.

CBODY67

[QUOTE="Jeff, I might try to figure out how to keep it without it getting worse.

Can't happen, even in Arizona. Some try clear coats but then it's not a natural patina.
Maybe wipe it down with light oil now and then.
Great truck, I love it. Restore to original and paint. much nicer.
[/QUOTE]
If it's stored inside out of the sun in Arizona it won't change much at all. Now outside is a different matter. The paint that's left will disappear pretty fast but the rust progression will be slow.

Back