AC/Heater Duct

66/440

Reaction score
My son is about to start the process of replacing the dash wiring harness in his '66 Imperial. I recommended that he do some preventative maintenance while the dash is out. Heater core and Evaporator core pressure test just to be sure. We have been discussing replacing the duct work. Are there any recommendations on sources for the duct hoses? I would think that buying footage and cutting to length would be most cost effective. Additionally, any recommendations on other items that should/could be addressed while the dash is out would be appreciated!

Getting some other things done with the instrument panel disassembled is a very good idea.

Duct hose tubing? Are the ends of the hoses just cut or do they have a snap-together at the end band clamp for a finished end? If they have the snaps, they were sold in dedicated lengths, IIRC. The bulk hose was in "a length". Might need to get the diameter of the hose and check with local auto supplies who might still have some in stock.

As to the ducts themselves, in many cases, the female end had some thin foam sealer that went inside them, which the male end indexed with, for a seal and better air flow output. Might be similar for the ducts which bolt to the hvac case? Browse the a/c duct seals at Home Depot or similar. Checking the operation of the actuators and doors can be done, too. Checking the condition of the rubber on the sealing areas of the flaps.

I suspect you'll find some traces/trails of coolant on the heater core, possibly. Might start looking for a new one. Might check the Online Imperial Club's website for sources, too.

I wish everybody well in that venture and hope it all ends well!

CBODY67

Back