Air Bag Suspension - Accuair Switchspeed - Still Under Construction...

Jack-Stand

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've had a few friends who've asked for updates on where I'm at with my bag suspension, so I figured I'd give a quick update (with pictures of course).

So the mechanical components of the suspension have been fabbed for some time now, but I didn't have my air management system. My wife got tired of my incessant whining (or so she claims) about how I haven't touched the car in a while, so she finally gave in and let me buy all of my components. I finally settled on the Accuair SwitchSpeed System. I had considered their e-level system, but decided the Switchspeed would better suit my needs for my system. As part of the consideration for the project, I also wanted as few failure points as possible, so the air lines between my solenoid block and my bags are all stainless lines. The only DOT plastic lines will on the pressure indications that I use to control the ride height/quality. Anyway, it's still under construction, so there'll be much more to come as I complete it. As I stand, the front bag lines are bent and ran, and the trunk components are effectively complete. I still have a few odds and ends to run (such as my train horns), but I'm hoping to make the car stand and sit on its own within a couple of weeks. Anyways, here starts the build thread for my air management install.

It all started when my parts arrived to the house. I'm running 3/8" 316 stainless line, with all 316 stainless fittings. While I know they're not cheap, they'll also be entirely corrosion free, while also being very robust. My little one decided to help dad unpack everything.

Shortly after that, came the task of straightening my tubing. The diameter of the roll was roughly 24", which if anyone has ever tried to straighten tubing by hand, it always looks like junk when you're finished. I opted for a backyard engineered approach that involved my Powerstroke, a tree, a couple of pairs of vice grips, and one of my car hauling ratchet straps. The finished result can be seen in the attachments.

Next came the actual air management stuff. While some stuff was back ordered, majority of what I ordered arrived, which allowed me to start on my basic fab. Once again, my little one had to help Dad.

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

Next came the actual fab in the trunk. Majority of builds that I see basically take up the entire trunk space. While that's neat, I really didn't want to take up my entire trunk, so I opted to run my tanks one on top of the other. To do that, I had to begin with a cardboard cutout that I then transferred over to some sheet steel that I originally purchased to fab a new trans tunnel. I cut the slice in the bottom of it so that I could access my bulkhead fittings for running my air lines through the trunk floor.

Next came the process of drilling the holes for my bulkhead fittings, and fabbing a brace by which the tank panel would be mounted. Next I test fitted my tanks, and finally I test fitted the piece in the car. Finally I went through and tested the piece with mounted tanks to verify my clearances.

With the tanks mounted, I then started the fab process of building the brackets that my compressor mounts and air solenoid block would mount to. Eventually I welded these pieces directly into the floorboard of the car, and then bolted my mounts down to them.

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

View attachment 252361

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

I then tacked my mounts into place, verified fitment, then burnt them in.

Then came the really fun part of bending/running all of my tubing. I started with my dump lines, and ran those into the bulkheads. Next came the lines that'll actually feed/dump the air to each of my air bags. I mounted some of my fittings, and started with the mock up of the system. I still need to go back and actually tighten/ mount everything fully, but for the most part, the trunk work is complete. Next on the agenda will be to finish plumb the stainless air lines from bags to the bulkheads under the car, and run my indication lines. I'm waiting on a couple of fittings from McMastercarr, but I've still got plenty that I'm able to do.

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

Not quite but almost... I left enough room between the tubing and the floor for carpet and possibly dynamat.

Thank you much! I'm still deciding on what the overall trunk will look like, but there are definitely other priorities before I start on panels and such. I'm planning on doing a build thread on my center console build when I get it back in the car. Right now it's covered, but it's too cold for me to start glassing it. Do y'all know if it's typical for someone to do an overall build thread? I was thinking about doing one, but didn't know if it'd be something that's out of the norm. Especially considering my car is on the 3 decade finishing track.

Thank you much! I'm still deciding on what the overall trunk will look like, but there are definitely other priorities before I start on panels and such. I'm planning on doing a build thread on my center console build when I get it back in the car. Right now it's covered, but it's too cold for me to start glassing it. Do y'all know if it's typical for someone to do an overall build thread? I was thinking about doing one, but didn't know if it'd be something that's out of the norm. Especially considering my car is on the 3 decade finishing track.

There is a section for member's builds here: Member's Projects & Restorations

I will say, it won't take long before the grumpy old men in hats show up, cringing and hissing about "fouling the sanctity of the C-Body." Not to mention, the words "air bags" trigger them. Personally, from what I can see about the work in this thread alone, you're doing a hell of a clean job, and I think it's awesome, it's not some half-assed hack-job. I will definitely follow it! I think outside the box myself, I just don't have the tools or materials to tackle anything as in-depth as what you're doing.

Haha I've already caught some flack from other friends of mine that are purists when it comes to general automobile restoration. Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate a pure, numbers matching, restoration, but I've always been more attracted to the clean, sleek restomods. No, my car won't ever be numbers matching (never was to begin with), so now it's going to be a really cool hot rod.

I appreciate the sentiment with my fab. As with all projects, if I had some things to do over again, I would, but overall I'm pleased with the progress. I'm not one to skimp on quality, especially when it comes to my family's safety while riding in the car.

Mine started as a very original specimen, so I kept it that way. In general not a fan of bags, but your fabrication and attention to detail looks great. Just finish it before your kids loose interest in it.

There is a section for member's builds here: Member's Projects & Restorations

I will say, it won't take long before the grumpy old men in hats show up, cringing and hissing about "fouling the sanctity of the C-Body." Not to mention, the words "air bags" trigger them. Personally, from what I can see about the work in this thread alone, you're doing a hell of a clean job, and I think it's awesome, it's not some half-assed hack-job. I will definitely follow it! I think outside the box myself, I just don't have the tools or materials to tackle anything as in-depth as what you're doing.
I was gonna alert you to his resto thread, but you already knew that.

This is the correct type of air bag thread, not a "What kit can I buy?" that we usually see. Very clean and thought out. I'd love to have a bagged car, but unless I'm buying one, I doubt it'll happen. So I'll live vicariously through @Jack-Stand for now!

Last edited:
I was gonna alert you to his resto thread, but you already knew that.

This is the correct type of air bag thread, not a "What kit can I buy?" that we usually see. Very clean and thought out. I'd live to have a bagged car, but unless I'm buying one, I doubt it'll happen. So I'll live vicariously through @Jack-Stand for now!

Thank you much! It's been a really fun project, but unfortunately it's also a very slow project. With how sentimental this car is to me, I absolutely refuse to cut corners, so that also makes it a very expensive build. I also absolutely refuse to put my family in debt to fund my habit, so that makes it even more slow.

Thank you much! It's been a really fun project, but unfortunately it's also a very slow project. With how sentimental this car is to me, I absolutely refuse to cut corners, so that also makes it a very expensive build. I also absolutely refuse to put my family in debt to fund my habit, so that makes it even more slow.
My projects are slow enough and I only have a girlfriend and a dog!

I'm married, 5 cars, 3 kids, 4 dogs, and a cat...

Let's just say my projects are like molasses uphill... in the winter.

My projects are slow enough and I only have a girlfriend and a dog!

I'm married, 5 cars, 3 kids, 4 dogs, and a cat...

Let's just say my projects are like molasses uphill... in the winter.

Haha glad I'm not the only one! Once this baby's finished (someday... way out in the future...) I'm planning on turning my 95' Stroker into a tube chassis rock crawler with 2.5 ton rockwells... I've already got the build list started, it's just a matter of time now.

Haha glad I'm not the only one! Once this baby's finished (someday... way out in the future...) I'm planning on turning my 95' Stroker into a tube chassis rock crawler with 2.5 ton rockwells... I've already got the build list started, it's just a matter of time now.
Post that over at ForTrucksOnly.com when you get to it, another one of Joey's sites. (Link at the bottom of the page)

Is the tubing on the trunk floor touching?
I did think about maybe building a trunk pan liner out of carpet and thin fiber board (like the new cars have for spare tire covers). The other thing I can do if I have to (which I'm not much of a fan of) is shim the solenoid mount and compressor mounts up. Because of how long I made my runs, there's enough flexibility in my lines to allow for small deviations.

Back