Air ride

54jet

Reaction score
I have a 64 Newport 4 door and I'd like to put air or hydraulic suspension on it (prefer air).
Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find a kit that would work? The torsion bar suspension kinda limits my choices

I have a 64 Newport 4 door and I'd like to put air or hydraulic suspension on it (prefer air).
Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find a kit that would work? The torsion bar suspension kinda limits my choices

Your best bet is to contact a shop that specializes in building "low riders". Far as I know, no one builds a kit for this that is an off shelf item.

Dave

Like Dave said, either find a shop that has experience doing unique fab work for air ride or do lots of research and fab it yourself.

Doing "air ride" is far easier on cars that originally had COIL springs on them than not. That doesn't include very many Chrysler car products built after the 1956 model year. Torsion bars on the front started with the '57 model year.

Not that it can't be done, but it won't be inexpensive at all. Not that it's not inexpensive to start with, but you'll need a complete new front suspension architecture and steering system PLUS a 4-link rear suspension JUST to have the air bags a place to be mounted and work.

On a coil spring chassis, especially on the rear, you've already got the basic architecture already there. Just remove the coil springs and put the air bags in. Some minor stuff involved to make that happen, additionally, to just swapping the coil springs for air bags.

AND, to me, when you get rid of the front torsion bars and rear leaf springs, you get rid of some of the main things that make these Chrysler products so great on the road!

My 3cents-worth,
CBODY67

Back