Another Holy Grail C-body Resto Starts Here; 1970 Sport Fury S/23 "N" Code 383 4bbl

Sorry to hear that. Sounds very similar to what I faced trying to get my GT ready in time for Carlisle 2021. For me it was the alternator that ended up dying last minute before it was time to leave for the show.

Hi Everybody,

I got an update on the car with some good and bad news. The good news is my stepdad replaced the old brain from the car with a new one courtesy of our very good friend Bill or @FURYGT, and we took the car to our friend who painted it about 10 minutes away and it ran great with the car NOT dying on the side of the road! Right now we are thinking its fixed BUT we wanna take it for another ride to make sure that it is 100% good and ready. The bad news is we got home with the car and the heater valve was leaking and is now no good, so we ordered the one below that is currently on Ebay for $145.00. We also ordered a set of 383 hood emblems from Herbs for the good bulges because when the car was being restored one of the studs broke off. Anyway that is all for now.

NOS New Heater Valve, Mopar 2936490 1969 1970 1971 Chrysler, B-Body w/ A/C | eBay

Herb's Parts: 383 70-71, Emblems, 3613277R(1)

If it's not one thing it's another...:BangHead:
It took me about a year after the rebuild to make the car dependable. PS/ With "new" or rebuilt alternators, the first thing u have to do is change all the bearings - they WILL **** themselves in a few hundred or thousand miles. Very poor quality, and the make and price don't matter.

The only way to get it all sorted is by driving the car a lot, or on a daily basis for some time.

It took me about a year after the rebuild to make the car dependable. PS/ With "new" or rebuilt alternators, the first thing u have to do is change all the bearings - they WILL **** themselves in a few hundred or thousand miles. Very poor quality, and the make and price don't matter.

The only way to get it all sorted is by driving the car a lot, or on a daily basis for some time.

And the quality of seals are just horrible. I have to redo hub seals on my 84 Cummins crewcab every year, front and rear, because they just don't last. I've tried them all from the cheapest to the most expensive and they fail prematurely.

Long time of an update comin' on the S/23. I'd like to take a lotta steps back here if I may and try to fully document the restoration from the beginning to the end, instead of starting at the beginning and skipping all the way to the end. Lets begin with the continuation of the quarter panels being pulled out with pictures being taken Monday April 4th 2022.......

S23 quarter 1.jpg

S23 quarter 2.jpg

S23 quarter 3.jpg

More from the restoration, prep work time. The fenders, doors, hood, and trunk were taken off the car sanded to bare metal primed and painted separately from the rest of the car then reinstalled after they were done.......

S23 Resto 15.jpg

S23 Resto 16.jpg

S23 Resto 17.jpg

S23 Resto 18.jpg

S23 Resto 19.jpg

S23 Resto 20.jpg

S23 Resto 21.jpg

We had to put some mud or bondo over the hideous mess on the right quarter panel from the pulling and hammer marks.......

S23 Resto 25.jpg

I know in the very beginning of this post that I said we were going to leave the engine bay alone and not paint it, but surprise. Thankfully my stepdads friend, and body and paint guy convinced him to paint it. Here it is with everything masked off and in primer. These are all the pictures I got for now, I know this has been a long time comin' and I'm very sorry about that. More to come hopefully soon though......

S23 Resto 26.jpg

S23 Resto 27.jpg

Also not sure if anyone saw or not but we took the car to Carlisle this year and got 3rd place in the 1969-1973 stock class, that was of course with not having a smooth ride as the radiator blew on the way to the show at the New York/Pennsylvania state line. Luckily our good friend Rich with the wagon next to us in this picture helped us out as he had a spare aftermarket radiator to put in......

1693970212401.png

NOW ONTO THE NEXT SHOW THE CAR WAS SUPPOSED TO GO TO BUT NEVER MADE IT TO LAST YEAR........ THE ADIRONDACK NATIONALS IN LAKE GEORGE NY IN A COUPLE DAYS THIS THURSDAY

Hi Everyone,

Long overdue update on the car. It was supposed to go to the Adirondack Nationals hotrod show in NY last year but never made it because it was supposed to rain and hail, so we decided to skip the trip altogether and did not go. This was about a week before I started on my kidney dialysis. Anyways we will not be going to the show again this year either, but hopefully we will be next year WITH a new interior. My stepdad is planning on getting a new front seat and carpet interior kit from sms and having a guy that his friend (and forum member) Rob (or 1968Chryslers) knows put it in, and Rob is also going to have some made as well. Here is the kit ideas we plan on ordering….

ECE24BF8-2D37-4C6B-89BD-EE994D8E77DA.jpeg

Hi Everyone,

I was mistaken in my last post. We ARE going to the Adirondack Nationals this year this coming week…. and with the car. We originally missed the deadline to register for the show back in February, but got the opportunity to go and bring a car from a friend of ours because he had an extra entry. I was not sure if I could go with my dialysis schedule, but my doctor gave me permission to go. We will be leaving Thursday morning, hopefully around 11ish. We are still not sure if we will be leaving and coming back home Saturday night, or Sunday morning yet. I will be sure to take and post some pictures in my show post on here.

Hi everybody,

I wanted to especially document but also share the very soon to be restoration of my stepdads factory 1970 Sport Fury S/23 "N" Code 383 4bbl. Now I know what you are probably thinking, "what about the '67 Sport Fury convertible project?." That project is still ongoing, the car is still at our body and paint friend and has been there for almost a year now. An update will be coming on that hopefully soon. Now I know what you also are probably thinking, "why are you restoring the S/23 it's beautiful already from the pictures you post of it." Well it's nice and show worthy but it is NOT perfect by any means, the right side has what my stepdad calls "automotive chicken pox" meaning flaking paint dots on the right side door and cracking paint in other places on the car because the current paint is lacquer which is 30+ years old now. It also has paint runs in it which you can't tell by pictures but when you look at it really close you notice it, I tried getting pictures of this up close which I will post here. The problem areas are mainly in the quarter panels though. The reason we are restoring the car is because my stepdad was never happy with the current paint job when he had it done 30+ years ago and mainly because we won the "Favorite Mopar" trophy last year in 2021 at the Adirondack Nationals Hotrod/car show in Lake George NY with the car, and we are planning on taking the car back this year in 2022 so we want it to look better.

So far a new S/23 stripe kit was bought from Phoenix Graphix (thank you fellas), and the car has been brought to my stepdads other friend yesterday who he has known since high school who is also a body and paint guy. For those who don't know this car is 1 of only 689 originally built, and is one of about I wanna say 12 and 1 of I wanna say 2 DY2 Sunfire Yellow S/23's known to exist on the SportFuryS/23&GTRegistry. Here is the history of the car and member @FURYGT can also add to this if he would like to as he has known my stepdad since high school and has also driven this car, or member @1968Chryslers can also add to this if he would like to as he has known my stepdad for about 15-20 years......

- The car was built on 10/15/1969 at the Newark DE assembly plant, and is 1 of only 2 known to exist from that plant according to Mr. Galen Govier who decoded the cars fender tag back in 1998.

- The car was a new off the lot purchase from New Britain Chrysler/Plymouth in New Britain CT by an elderly couple who wanted a 2-door with air conditioning, who did not at all if it was rare and special

- The car was stolen from the original owners wife while she was at work and recovered in a parking garage in Springfield Massachusetts.

- The car has a 1971 warranty block in it because the original engine blew up with only 2,500 miles because of a thrown connecting rod

- My stepdad bought the car for only $500.00 back in about 1983 from the original owners because the reverse band was broken. He was into the Furys at the time and saw it in their garage and knew it was rare and special because he never heard of one, and told the owners "if you ever wanna sell it let me know". t is the 3rd ever C-body my stepdad ever bought

- The car has 2 build or broadcast sheets but sadly no other paperwork besides authenticity paperwork.

- The car has been restored twice already, once by the original owners and once by my stepdad.

- The car has won many prestigious awards such as a Galen Govier Top 10 award at the Englishtown Mopar Nationals, a Presidents Pick at our local Mopar Expo show, a Favorite 50 at Lebanon Valley Dragway, many 1st places including in Carlisle, Featured on our local Mopar car clubs dash plaque, and Favorite Mopar at the Adirondack Nationals.

New stripe kit here.....
Phoenix Graphix 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT Decal Kit

Old car show pictures of the car, starting with 2003 at the Englishtown Mopar Nationals in NJ. (ALL photo credit (except the last 2 photos) is courtesy of Moparts.com).....
View attachment 519368

Mopar Nationals 2005, Englishtown NJ.....
View attachment 519369

Carlisle 2007.....
View attachment 519370

Friends Local Cruise Night 2009.....
View attachment 519371View attachment 519372

Adirondack Nationals 2021, (photos taken by me)......
View attachment 519375View attachment 519376

The plan is to have the car restored and back together in time for Carlisle this year as it is currently registered and since we are taking "The Great Pumpkin" our 1970 Fury III 4-door hardtop anyways. My personal plan is to document the restoration here when I have time.

I hope you join us along for the restoration of this rare and rambunctious C-body!
If you go to my docile post from yesterday, I posted my father in law 1970 Plymouth Fury S23. I see it's a rare car. It was his first car at 16 years old and has had it ever since. Motor has just recently been professionally gone through completely and also the interior. Only thing left is the paint and adding the stickers and it will be completely like new and original.

Back