Any reliability issues?

Polara_500

Legendary Member
Reaction score
My son's looking at a 2003 Ram w/5.7 and close to 200K on the clock, anybody know of common issues on these?

They are generally pretty reliable if well maintained and treated right. Some areas that have occasional problems -valve lifters, camshaft (if lifters seize) (mainly on 06-12 trucks I think - early years of the multi displacement system), exhaust manifold studs breaking (most years of 5.7 and 6.4), ball joint issues if a previous owner lifted or leveled without putting re-angled arms too. Most issues I have heard of from owners are because of rough usage, low maintenance or putting performance chips, cheap lifts ect...

I'm well aware of rust issues up here, that's easy if you keep your eyes open. The mechanicals are a bit different as I've not paid much attention for quite a few years. I know most of the weaknesses through the 80's but newer than that is kinda vague.

Not sure if these are the years that have the bad steering box. My 05 ram 3500 was recalled and my friends hemi 1500 had his done twice but I’m not sure what year his is.

If its a 4wd viscous clutch in the transfer case, Noisy worn out front and or rear diff, drive shafts, ball joints, steering gear. Front drive axles if 4wd just to start.

They are pretty darn reliable, over the years I have only done head gaskets on one truck and had another one that broke a piece out of the crank keyway letting the crank gear move some causing a check engine light because of the sync between the crank and cam signals. There will be common maintenance things but over all pretty reliable.

That’s a lot of miles anyway you slice it. Not that they can’t keep going but at this point you can’t be surprised when the maintenance and repair bills start stacking up.

Back