Any tips on fitting in molded carpet?

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
IMG_1299.JPG
nobody seemed to have pre molded carpet for my 9 pass T&C. SMS sold me the carpet plus a pile extra for the rear. Now Iam ready to fit the rear with carpet. I have that hump on the left to fit and then I have to figure something out for the footwell.

All suggestions and tips appreciated.

Pull all of the carpet, lay it flat as a pattern, and you're good to go.

Got the interior back Friday. Assembling now hoping to beat the salt on the roads.

Exterior is complete except for a few pieces of trim where I want to buff out some paint issues.

E42094EB-C8B8-4EDB-ABAC-015BB12F7B92.jpeg

A4B1A119-7C92-4F09-936B-EE97E52528F3.jpeg

A19E74FA-6BF9-4588-B4C3-366EE5C2566E.jpeg

BAB7F0BB-B042-4C2C-ADB4-3177D52B626B.jpeg

I got that far but there is the molded pieces. Steam? Hot iron? Or heat gun and stretch it?
I just laid it in place and placed the seat over it...mine is 9 pass and the carpet does not go as far back as what I see in the pics. Is yours a 6 pass?
For the footwell, I used 2 pieces of carpet.

I just laid it in place and placed the seat over it...mine is 9 pass and the carpet does not go as far back as what I see in the pics. Is yours a 6 pass?
For the footwell, I used 2 pieces of carpet.
9 Pass and fairly low miles so I am guessing original. Pretty ratted out. I am just trying to figure out how to lay out the carpet. I assume you glued it all in place? I was thinking of running width wise with the sides and bottom one piece and then a piece down the front of the footwell and under the seat.

I have found one ‘change’ for sure between this 77 and my other 77 ‘template car’. the headliner support bar in my template car has no holes and does not screw into the roof of the car. The 77 being restored has two screws. Odd.

Forget using hardware store carpet glue. Won't do the job.
Find a local trim shop that does custom upholstery and ask what they use. My trimmer uses a product that stays liquid until applied, (sprayed from a paint type gun), onto both surfaces, let dry to the touch. Just be sure you put the carpet where you want it because there is very little wiggle room, instant contact. He lets it dry completely to the touch and gains a LITTLE bit of positioning. Your carper will form and stay to the contour of your floor.

I used some basic contact cement. It stretched a little but I found I didn’t need it to stretch that much based on how I cut it. If it fails, it will be easy to regular with something better. I’m betting the weldwood is what I needed for holding up the head liner in another car. Could never get the vinyl sheet to stay up.

I used some basic contact cement. It stretched a little but I found I didn’t need it to stretch that much based on how I cut it. If it fails, it will be easy to regular with something better. I’m betting the weldwood is what I needed for holding up the head liner in another car. Could never get the vinyl sheet to stay up.
You can alwayz wait 'til June and lay it out in your driveway in the sun for an hour or so. Not ah good time this week from what I've sean on the national weather. I've witnessed what happenz on your side of the lake this in the cold monthz. Too much chunky rain, lol

Last edited:
Back