Anyone here running a Fitech or has deep knowledge of EFI?

Knebel

Reaction score
Having some EFI trouble, tech support non existent. Anyone has some knowledge on EFI system?

Pretty much the system gets stuck in open loop randomly, thats how it started. The o2 showed normal values but the fuel trim just...stopped. Reflashed the software a few times and every time I do it something else is either not working...working "funny" or working only for 30 seconds.

I now have an indicator that says Fuelpump: 0
However the car runs... im at a loss. I cant drive the car because of it, I already put multiple hundered dollars into injectors and sensors and now I most likely will need a new ecu. I filed a BBB complained that Fitech ignored, and they also ignore most of my emails where I give them insight to the issues. I'd like to switch to Holley but cant afford it...sorry, pretty upset with Fitech. dont Buy! They have practically 0 support.

Seems like you have been having issues with that system for several years now?

Seems like you have been having issues with that system for several years now?
Well, yes and no. Many "issues" were initially tuning related but now the system has just...majorly bit the dust. There might be 6 to 8000miles on it and I am reading that lots of people have their ecu die around that mileage. I initially started noticing, that the system was not trimming fuel but the o2 was still reading and changing values. Tried a new o2 sensor (i do believe that one was defect upon arrival, maybe not even genuine bosch). And the problem worsened. After I put the headers on it actually ran as good as it never has before... weird right? My 360 never felt so alive! That was when (you i think suggested) a better exhaust?

I then found an intake leak... took care of that too. Issue persists. So now I have a new o2 sensor and...yeah I dont even kow what is causing the behavior currently, i started it up, it started adjusting to the target AFR and then afzer a min of idling the closed loop stopped and the afr went pig rich. Its completely random... not related to runtime or temperature or anything. I reflashed the software a few times and every time there was another issue happening. Id say now that Fitech is crap, I also never got more than 8mpg out of my 360 and I had this thing practically dialed in with logs and butt dyno. Unfortunate thing is that I have no money to fix any of it right now. My father in law who supported me and my family just passed and Im majorly struggling (i have a backinjury that made me like 70% disabeled initially). So every minute I mess with it under the hood bend over really really messes me up for days.

Thanks for the updates. I hope your health and family issues can get better.

CBPDY67

I've never used fitech. I would suggest triple confirming all the config settings that kick it in and out of open/closed loop. Usually multiple temp settings, whether warm up enrichment is still engaged, etc. you could accidentally be always adding warm up enrichment

Hey there @Knebel. I do run a FiTech and agree it isn’t great. And also agree there is ZERO support from their ‘customer service’ folks. They will essentially suggest reflashing the software every time.

I had a bit of trouble with it not starting after a decent drive in warm weather. Nothing like the problems you’re currently describing, but essentially a blacked out screen if I got back in the car after say a 10 minute stop.

On the suggestion of a friend, I swapped out the metal riser/spacer under the throttle body to a plastic/phenolic spacer. The thought was when I parked after the engine was hot, the heat would sync up into the throttle body through all the metal ‘touch points’ (I am by no means a mechanic and don’t know all the correct terminology).

After switching to that non metallic spacer, everything was running right again.

If I were to do it all over again, I would not do FiTech. But at the time I had the engine redone, that was that system my mechanic knew best.

I made it easiest for me after FITECH didnt even engage in my BBB complaint other than rejecting it.

I ordered a new Holley sniper 2 with the money I didnt have lol. Bit no matter how I turned it, going back to carb would have been $1000 as well...

Screw Fitech and their lack of support. They just want me to send everything in after they reply with 1 liners to detailed questions on how to toubleshoot and then have me pay hunderets to get their cheap garbage fixed that I betatested for them essentially. Their stuff is the lowest quality chinese garbage, and the company and the support is just as bad.

Sorry you are having to deal with this @Knebel , but thank you for keeping the group updated. I am guessing I too will need to do something similar when my Fitech will eventually fail.

Keep us posted on how the sniper works out.

Sorry you are having to deal with this @Knebel , but thank you for keeping the group updated. I am guessing I too will need to do something similar when my Fitech will eventually fail.

Keep us posted on how the sniper works out.
Yeah, The software alone would be worth the upgrade. Fitech just expects you to send it back, "fix it" and you pay and don't know what was actually wrong with it. I have been reading of hunderets of people that had a broken ecu after 6000miles, paid to have it fixed and the ecu takes a dump again after 8 months (only 6mo warranty on repairs). I asked for a courtesey repair or ECU... I even said "maybe send me one so I can test if thats the issue and if not ill sent the unit in". They didnt even engage, and the BBB complaint, they just snottily rejected. Fitech are snobs that don't stand behind the product but behave like they are selling top notch EFI systems.

I have the 30002 system, and I'm going to sell this for parts, however I also have 4 new 80lb/h injectors in it, a new o2 and a new pressure regulator. "New" as in...ideled 30mins pig rich in the driveway with no closed loop.

That's a bummer. My circa 2000 classic f.a.s.t is still running my turbo 383 in the fury.

Having some EFI trouble, tech support non existent. Anyone has some knowledge on EFI system?

Pretty much the system gets stuck in open loop randomly, thats how it started. The o2 showed normal values but the fuel trim just...stopped. Reflashed the software a few times and every time I do it something else is either not working...working "funny" or working only for 30 seconds.

I now have an indicator that says Fuelpump: 0
However the car runs... im at a loss. I cant drive the car because of it, I already put multiple hundered dollars into injectors and sensors and now I most likely will need a new ecu. I filed a BBB complained that Fitech ignored, and they also ignore most of my emails where I give them insight to the issues. I'd like to switch to Holley but cant afford it...sorry, pretty upset with Fitech. dont Buy! They have practically 0 support.
I run a Fitech. Besides clearing all the data and treating it as a new installation in learning mode, sorry no suggestions. Stay away from any mods to default settings for a while. I’m with you, if I were to do it again, I’d buy a high end, new carb and avoid the nonsense. Besides better cold starts, I haven’t seen any advantage to the Fitech.

I hope you are able to get your system figured out!! Like many of us it takes many years to complete our cars. Ten years ago a friend of a friend installed Fitech efi on his car and it was amazing, I talked to him about it and it was all good. That had me looking into Fitech for my build for many years. It was a good thing I talked to the same guy several years later and he told me about all the problems he had and actually had to remove it.
I purchased a Sniper in July of 2000 with the complete Hyperspark ignition system and in-tank fuel pump. Car ran for the first time in September of '23 and lost spark in March of '24 (it only had a 1 year warranty). Because I had a video of the first start on my YouTube channel as well as a receipt with everything on it (proof of purchase seemed to be a big deal for them, they have no idea if you purchased it new), they sent me a Sniper 2 with everything to make it work including the cable for the laptop. I talked to their support staff a couple times to diagnose the issue with the first Sniper. I did an update and ran the tests they told me to do, and then I called them back with the results, it still didn't have spark. It was diagnosed as a bad ecu and not worth fixing. Two different techs called me for info. They were great to work with and I highly recommend Holley. I installed the Sniper 2 and it fired right up, it will be dyno tuned when I finish the car, hopefully before spring '25.
That's my experience with Holley!! If you want to checkout the build:

1965 Sport Fury Restoration

The first start video is on page 4

You mentioned expence, as far as financing the build, I have purchased A LOT of things and sold those things. If I came across anything I could make money on, I purchased it. Besides that, there were many cars, purchase, make any needed repars, and resale. It takes time but I can tell you that every dime in my car has been made by doing that and working through the summers building friends cars. None of my wages have been used in the Fury. Don't think your wages have to be used, you may never have enough to build your car the way you want!!

In the earlier days of EFI, it seemed that EACH company which came out with a system had "Their Day in the Sun", with FiTech being one of them. Each one was supposed to be "the best", at that time. Then came the MSD 4bbl TBI system, that got absorbed into Holley, etc.

During these times, a good friend went with Affordable Fuel Injection. Rather than use a TBI of their design, they based their system off of a mid-1980s GM ECU and burned chips to fit the application. TBI? A GM 2bbl TBI from the 1990s, reman from a local auto supply. That system worked pretty good, with the bulletproof reliability of OEM parts. With time, he ended up upgrading to their "full meal deal" system with ignition control and everything. MPG and such went up on his '50 Buick straight-eight to where it's now about 17mph on the highway (3-spd manual). He's very happy with it, to say the least! At the time, I'd never heard of them, but their original approach was very good, to me. Their price advantage was due to using and adapting "somebody else's" hardware to non-OEM applications. FWIW.

At one time, the "big deal" in the aftermarket EFI systems seemed to be whether the injector sprayed above the throttle plates (as a venturi would do) or sprayed under the throttle plates?

In those earlier years of EFI, I came across "a deal" on a 2bbl Holley system. With "build to fit" wiring and such. I was going to put it on my '80 Newport 360 2bbl, which still has the OEM "Electronic Spark Control" system on it. Adding EFI would complete the "full electronic" orientation of Chrysler back then, to me. I pulled it out of the box and looked at it, to see what it was, then put it back in the box for future use. That was back then and it's still there. Has the external control box, but I didn't get the kit to make it meter WOT on its own (which would need an O2 sensor and such to make it work).

Y'all enjoy!
CBODY67

I have Fitech. I've spent so much money on it i have trouble justifying going back to a carb but strongly don't recommend it. I have nothing but issues i assume is directly related to it

I will add having complete control of the timing curve on a map on my laptop is really really nice. Especially with boost I can control timing vs MAP as well as the normal mimic of mechanical and vacuum advance. It is so easy to go down the road and dial up timing until lean surge, back it off a couple clicks, etc. same with wot ping.

I have Fitech. I've spent so much money on it i have trouble justifying going back to a carb but strongly don't recommend it. I have nothing but issues i assume is directly related to it
I agree. It needlessly complicates things. The ONLY reason I still have one is I live about a half hour away from Fitech in Riverside. They’re very helpful if you show up with equipment. I recently had a fuel pump/sump shoot craps. I brought it in they diagnosed it and sold me a replacement at a reasonable discount. They told me to bring the body and control/display back so they reflash it. Without the ability to walk stuff in, I would have returned to a carb a while ago and just keep the O2 sensor for tuning the carb.

Oh my issue is that I feel like I betatested their product and there have been issues identified even by fitech that they upgraded. I went with them because I wanted to support a smaller up and coming business but oh boy... their tech department is a joke. I asked them to give me some values of what their wires should be measuring on the o2 and told them that I basically have an associates in electro engineering. I wrote 4 large paragraphs identifieing the issue and they replied with 1!!!!! Line. I went into the PC software and the values in the fuel and map tables were all screwed up. I cant even explain how and what but yeah, the update had typos, the rpm table was like 600/000/1000/800 stuff like that. They claimed its a ground issue and told me to measure resistance between the head and battery - (after I told them that I added a ground wire directly from the throttlebody to the battery so obviously the resistance was 0. They didnt read my emails, they didnt engage, they didnt offer a solution other than "send it in and pay for it". Eff them.

And the ultimate amswer is I need to send it back and pay for them to fix it. No, their customer service is run by clowns that dont stand behind the product. "Oh its from 2016... then you have to send it in, no warranty, nothing". An I heared reports that if you just did so much as shorten a wire, they will deny working on it lol. Never ever ever again with that company. And think about it... I would pay close to $50 shipping one way... plus a $280 ecu, plus the labor... yeah no.

Then, how come the Fitech always only got me 6mpg. My holley that I tuned with an o2 sensor got me 15mpg. I am talking city driving. This sounds like my plugs should have been black but they werent. Thats just what it was.

Fitechs table is like a 3x3 matrix. Holley is 16x16 I belive... i have already been playing with the software and its a night and day difference. Fitech, never ever again.

Last edited:
"....after I told them that I added a ground wire directly from the throttlebody to the battery so obviously the resistance was 0...."

Back