april madness

livininharrow

Reaction score
this is the crap I woke up to. but I guess the upside is I woke up to see it.

100_0956.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused as to what section it should be in if not general discussion?
It was originally in the "Website Suggestions" section which would probably trigger tons of input to joey, looks like he already moved it.

More about the truck please, It looks like a 60. What size?

More about the truck please, It looks like a 60. What size?
hi shooter yes it is a 60. its a power wagon power giant. the guy I bought it from in Oregon a couple years back claims they only made 150 for the military as a prototype. its a 4 speed 4x4 with a 2 speed transfer case. not sure his claim is correct as I am not a powerwagon powergiant expert. hopefully you or someone knows more and can chime in. it is a BEAST. I could probably pull a loaded train with it. someone installed a later model 318 in it which is fine by me as the original would have been a flathead 6 .it runs smokes and drives. I have a Vintage Power Wagon catalogue that shows it to be a type G. 1957 to 1960 W100 or W 200 power giant. I am still trying to find the vin number which should be on the frame to properly identify it. will try to look again when the weather gets nice. no room in the garage. cheers Paul

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.... wait it's April... never mind the first day of trout season was supposed to be tomorrow and it always snows for that.
20200417_175544.jpg

This is what greeted me when I got home from work today.

[QUOTE="livininharrow, I am still trying to find the vin number which should be on the frame [/QUOTE]

The VIN should be stamped into the driver side outer frame rail in the vicinity of the door area Paul.

Hi Paul,

I’m by no means an expert on these trucks but have always wanted a 59 W300 so my OCD forces me to do unnecessary research, LOL. Sorry it took so long to respond but I was looking for the data I have. I have a considerable amount of info on the 57 to 60 Power Giants but it must be on my old hard drive. I’ll have to fire up the server and find it. The production numbers I found are as follows:

upload_2020-4-18_11-28-6.png

I would question the claim that it was a prototype for the military unless there was something about this truck that is different then other 60 W300 Power Giants. These were civilian models just like the WM300’s where. There’s a lot of confusion around these trucks Power Giant and WM300 Power Wagons. Many people claim they were military but the M37s where the Military trucks of this era, not to say that some civilian trucks didn’t see military server.

As you can see by the production numbers, for the W300s the 318 outsold the six by 30 vehicles, I’m not saying yours is a factory 318 but it’s possible. If there’s no tags on the B-Pillar, the VIN will be on the frame, If it starts with 236##### it was a six cylinder and it it start 238####### it was a 318.

upload_2020-4-18_11-29-13.png

IMO there is too much unnecessary confusion around the 60+ trucks. 1960 through 1962 Dodge used a Serial Number and a Parts Availability tag. They have the same information and I think this was done in the transition period to get dealers and part’s departments used to the new serial number configuration. You can see the brake down above but to further confuse things, there is no model year code in these serial numbers and this went on for a number of years. See the Sweptline.com link below.

http://www.sweptline.com/hist/vininfo.html

There were two engines available for all PW/PG’s from 57 through 60. 57 & 58 was the 230 L6 and 315 V8, in 59 and 60 they still used the 230 L6 but went to the Poly 318 for the V8 because they had a lot of problems with the 315 in these trucks.

There were a few transmissions offered on these trucks, it appears there were a 3 speed, column shift and 4 speed floor shift manual and a push button automatic. I can’t find any info if the automatic was offered on the 200 or 300 but I did see a pic of a W100 with a push button auto. I’ve never seen documentation that would indicate it was not but because most components of the W300 were shared with the larger 400, 500, etc. trucks I doubt you could get a W300 with a push button auto.

Although the D/W 100, 200 and 300 were all considered Light Duty, the D300 shared the same frame and cab as the 100 and 200 but the W300 shared the cab and frame with the D/W 400 + trucks. It was a serious truck which probably should have been considered a Medium Duty truck. You could even get saddle tanks on the W300.

Here are several websites you may want to check out. If I find the other info I have, I’ll pass it on.

W300 VIN Decoding

Eric's Dodge Power Giant Power Wagon Page

Dodge Power Giant Registry

This website is mostly devoted to WM300s but this link has some good info on the PG. They also have vendors that sell PG parts.
POWER WAGON PAGE

1957-1960 Dodge Power Giant Power Wagon

This is a pretty rare option, especially for the W/D300s but if you have the roof mounted AM radio, he is selling antennas.
Dodge Truck Model 700 Radio Antenna

BTW, if that's an actual Braden winch on the front, that's a pretty rare piece for Power Giants. Pretty common on WM300s but no so much for Power Giants.

BTW, if that's an actual Braden winch on the front, that's a pretty rare piece for Power Giants. Pretty common on WM300s but no so much for Power Giants.
thanks for your time and all the info Shooter. I will check out those websites. the original winch and bracket were missing when I bought the truck unfortunately. thanks again. cheers

Back