Bastardized 1959 "Coronet" build

Placed the rear bumper in place to see if I like it. Plan is to make one with fiberglass and probably have it wrapped in chrome-ish material...

Boris_Rear_Bumper.jpg

A custom rollpan and a thin bumper might match the look of the front better. I'm really enjoying following your build BTW. :thumbsup:
Funny you should mention that... after seeing the rear bumper in place and how outrageous it is, I was thinking I'll need to make the previously thought simple front bumper a bit more ridiculous. :lol:

This is definitely one of my favorite threads to follow. Always wish it went faster but in reality you're doing an amazing amount of work in the time it has taken.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

I agree...really enjoy seeing the progress on this car. I was so inspired I had to go out and buy a 1959 Dodge Coronet....didn't need another project but those pictures of wetskier2000's car were so cool I could not help myself....I knew I needed one also!!!!

Last edited:
Wow, I REALLY LIKE it!! I'm away from the internet for a few days and look what I missed! That's definitely very similar to my original idea although I always thought a little wider and covering the rear tires. But the front area is spot on... Instead I'm going for the full bodied girl. :)

Finally managed to get enough ideas and help to bend the flange on the raw leading edge of the hood using a tipping die in my bead roller. It went pretty well. Now I just need to bend it the rest of the way, add some inner structure and get that thing on the car. Baby steps... I also started on the fiberglass rear bumper.

Hood_Tipping5.jpg
Hood_Tipping4.jpg
Hood_Tipping1.jpg
Hood_Tipping2.jpg
Hood_Tipping3.jpg

Structure put back into the leading edge of the hood and the hem has been folded over! It mostly works, some fine adjustments still needed.

Hood_Opens_backwards2.jpg
Hood_Opens_backwards1.jpg

what I learned at summer camp.... err learned on my first attempt at making a rear bumper in FG.

1) Probably be more generous with the release agent.
2) Don't simply skip areas with the FG matt. Not only does it provide strength but also seems to keep the resin from just sliding off and making very thin areas.
Those were the areas that pretty much crumbled removing the FG piece from the bumper form.

Not sure if I'll attempt to repair this piece or just start fresh with my new found knowledge.

Boris_FG_Bumper.jpg

Fixed front hood panel is now actually bolted in place. Nose is bolted to the Corvette front xmember... Hood fits pretty well. Still needs a little tweaking but it's bolted to the donor C5 hinges and they are bolted to the C5 frame via some brackets. Coming along... I plan to work on items that will keep the car from being driven. It's still a considerable list but might be doable in the coming months. It won't be DONE by any means, but the first goal is to have it just safely driveable.

Right now that list is: Install the C5 hood latches
Get the door sheet metal to a point that it's mostly aligned and securely fastened to the C5 door structure,
Install the new rear quarter brackets.
Finish then install the FG rear bumper. It will give a spot for the license plate. "COROVET".
Repair whatever is making nasty noises up front (idler, alternator, not sure what yet)
Wire headlights, maybe? I already have brake and turn... Oh maybe front turns... Yeah, that would be a good idea...
Prolly install the seat belts...
Nose_bolted_on2.jpg
Nose_bolted_on3.jpg
Nose_bolted_on1.jpg

Here are the latest pics...

Has anyone used those blingy, HID headlight conversions on their C body?

Has anyone used those blingy, HID headlight conversions on their C body?
With all the rake I've put into this car, I recently realized the headlights will pretty much be pointing at the ground. I suspect the stock adjustments will only help a little and wondering what options I might have...

With all the rake I've put into this car, I recently realized the headlights will pretty much be pointing at the ground. I suspect the stock adjustments will only help a little and wondering what options I might have...
Daylight driving? =)

Back