Bendix dual booster ID help

66l78rat

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like 3461034 F9352 7480
Does anyone know how to decipher these #s??

IMG_1397.jpg

Is that your NOS Bendix booster? I believe you posted about that last year in the thread linked below. A larger picture may help as well. The numbers stamped are probably manufacturing numbers and have little to do with the catalogued part number, and it may be superceded to a later style number anyhow. The last 4 digits are probably a month and year date code.

If I recall correctly, there are two different sizes of Bendix booster for discs - the bigger being for C body, but again, I've just heard they're the same size. In this post linked here:
FYI B & C Body Bendix disc brake dual diaphragm boosters compared @PH27L7 recently did a comparison with a 1967 C body disc booster and a 1970 B body disc booster and found no discernable differences other than the main pushrod length, while @Davea Lux in the same post claims the 70 - 71 C body one one should be larger than the 1970 B body, but that the 1970 B body one can be made to work on a 65-68 C body with a pushrod length modification. Regardless, the smaller ones are 8 inches, and the diametre for the larger I think is 8.75 inches or 9 inches, but I don't know where that's measured... it's a tad confusing, but I don't worry about it because I have an original on both my cars, and a 3rd tucked away as a spare.

The Pirate Jack ones are still out there, and the verdict on those is not in yet.

1706244259479.png

FYI B & C Body Bendix disc brake dual diaphragm boosters compared

Last edited:
Yes its a NOS booster that im trying to ID. Ive been told its a 70-71 HD applications booster?Police? That info comes from a local police car guru.Its overall diameter is 8.75 inches and has longer pushrod so I know its for a C body not B but would like to know what years/cars its application for.

IMG_1398.jpg

Imperial boosters used a longer pushrod than C bodies too in 1966 - 1968, but the parts book says they're the same booster between C body and Imperial for 69 - 70.

I was incorrect regarding my initial response and thinking it was a much later part number (which also happens to be the proper number stamped into the surface of the unit). I disregarded that at first because it was a late number - much later than I imagined a Bendix dual of that era could have.

Now that I'm looking in a 70 - 71 book, I see a fair amount of 3461 xxx numbers, so I was definitely wrong in my thinking there. The number 3461 034 on the box and what's stamped shows up in the brakes part section as the final entry in section 5 - 100 - 2 POWER UNIT, WITH DISC BRAKES 1970 (all C bodies and Imperial), with disc boosters for B bodies being a different part number, presumably for the shorter pushrod if the research by @PH27L7 shown in the other thread have all other elements being identical:
1706276616599.png

I am still not sure if these means that the larger of the 2 boosters will still work on C bodies - I think they do - but I'll have to check.

Last edited:
You guys are great!! Really appreciate the info!

A few clarifications from my end-

There's only one size stamped body on all the mopar tandem diaphragms that were made by Bendix throughout the years they were used, even for the earlier drum brake Imperials. I didn't have a caliper to measure but it came to roughly 9" which would likely be the 8-3/4" people are referring to. There was NO smaller OEM Bendix 8" unit ever used to the best of my knowledge; if someone knows of an example, please provide evidence.

I temporarily used a 1968 Imperial unit on my 1967 Fury while my original was being rebuilt.They interchanged perfectly although the check valve arrangement was different.

Last edited:
Thanks - that's it - no evidence, only heresay. I'm pretty sure you're correct.

The Pirate Jack ones state theirs are only 8" across, which only adds to the confusion, but I eliminate those from any real consideration as they're aftermarket.

I had to have a pushrod cut down on one of my boosters to use on a 66, so from what you just said I can only figure that it was likely a 1969 or 70 IMP unit.

Back