Best place for NOS or original mopar parts

Mocop

Reaction score
Hi all,
Starting to put together a list of need for my 65’ Plymouth fury 383 - water pump, gaskets, hoses, belts, air filter, small parts etc. What is the best place (brick and mortar store or online) to get quality parts for best outcome? I have gone to hometown parts stores and other local places but their selection/knowledge is lacking. Not looking to hot rod an already solid motor, just want to put it back to stock and be reliable - thanks for the help!

I might suggest your first stop might be www.RockAuto.com . To see what's available, at what cost. Multiple brands to choose from. THEN, with that knowledge, you can shop the online listings for the chain auto supply stores for comparisons. In most cases, if you input your town, they can also indicate the "in stock" status.

IF there might be an old-line, embedded, local auto supply that's been around for decades, THAT might be a good place to shop also! They might ALSO have the paper catalogs with the parts listings you need!

For what you have listed, those things should be available, but not in stock locally, from several places. Might take a day or so to get, usually. IF you can build a relationship with ONE place, so much the better should something not fit right or for any warranty purposes. Might save some money on freight, too?

NAPA can always be a good choice, but also notice that when they sell a part from "Cardone", they use the Cardone part number and change the location of the "-" in the number. They used to sell Walker Exhaust products, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

There are a number of vendors here on this site whom I would trust.

National Moparts and Nigel Mills - www.nationalmoparts.com for just about anything.

Brakes, fuel, suspension and steering - Craig from @mobileparts

Carburetors @Woodruff Carburetor Specialties

Interior @Quirey Quality Design

@marty mopar has LOTS of NOS

There are lots. Go to this page and scroll down to find the vendors
For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

Last edited:
I know Cardone doesn't have the best reputation of off the shelf parts, but they seemed to be my only option when I wanted my original Water pump housing rebuilt. My local Parts store had an option where for a fee you could send in your original part and they would re- build it. I did it for my water pump and my distributor (before I knew Halifaxhops). No issues with the water pump the new distributor bushings and clean up helped, however they didn't look at the springs or set the mechanical advance which was messing with my low idle settings. Actually @halifaxhops provided me some new springs and advice to fix it.
NOS parts are harder and harder as are re-build kits for some original items. You will pay, but e-bay searches have been my best bet, but do your research on the Part number and application. Many sellers assume that a part fits all C-bodies which is not always the case. Or the seller doesn't know that the specific part does or does not fit. Find the correct part number in the book and then search the part number with Chrysler or Mopar behind the number. You will be surprised at what will come up.

x2 on part numbers...many vendors that cater to the b body crowd have parts that fit our cars but are blissfully unaware that they do...Detroit Muscle Technologies has quality stuff and fits the above description...as far as brick and mortar local stuff Napa sells higher quality stuff but labels a lot of it as a house brand where OReilly carries comparable stuff but labels it as the actual manufacturer (like Gates hose,pumps,belts, Wix filters) rather than their own name...with any brick and mortar go online and look the stuff up yourself and walk in with the part number in hand...Autozone usually has lower prices for generic stuff and they can get some hard to find stuff through Rareparts...at least brick and mortar you can hand stuff back to them and not pay to ship a return

Last edited:
On Ebay, AMS Obsolete which was formetly Mitchell's
They have tons of NOS C body parts.
They can be pricey but they usually have what nobody else carries.
On Ebay I use filters to search specific year make and model NOS.

A couple of places come to mind.

Andy Bernbaum
Mopar Classic Parts - Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Desoto 1935-71

World's largest seller of new and N.O.S. vintage & classic Mopar parts for Chrysler, Plymouth, Desoto, Imperial and Dodge cars and trucks, 1930-1971​

Kanter
Classic Car Parts – Kanter Auto

Old Cars, New Parts.​

Kanter Auto has been a cornerstone in the antique car hobby for over 50 years. We provide classic car parts for all makes and models of domestic model cars from the 1930’s to the 1980’s.

+1 on Cbarge's suggestion of AMS Obsolete in Fairmount, GA. If you can get there, visit the place, it will blow your mind.

Also have to watch out for parts that look like mopar but are not.

Also have to watch out for parts that look like mopar but are not.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
I see a lot of NORS parts being sold as NOS. I've even seen repop stuff trying to be passed off as NOS. Used stuff that ended up in a new box too...

The GM and Ford guys have been dealing with counterfeit NOS parts for a while now. I really think you will see this happen with Mopar parts one of these days, if it's not already happening.

Hi all,
Starting to put together a list of need for my 65’ Plymouth fury 383 - water pump, gaskets, hoses, belts, air filter, small parts etc. What is the best place (brick and mortar store or online) to get quality parts for best outcome? I have gone to hometown parts stores and other local places but their selection/knowledge is lacking. Not looking to hot rod an already solid motor, just want to put it back to stock and be reliable - thanks for the help!
A lot of what you are listing here is stuff you might not want or need to be NOS.

First thing about NOS is right in the name... O for old. Some stuff can sit on the shelf for years and be as good as the day it was built, then other stuff, like let's say fan belts for example, are things that don't age well. Any rubber or soft material has a strong possibility of being worthless if used after sitting on the shelf for 50 years. Let's say you bought that NOS fan belt that sat on a shelf... The rubber might look good, but do you want to really trust that belt? Maybe if the car goes everywhere on a trailer, but not if you drive it... And figure on it breaking at the worst possible time. Breaking a fan belt sounds minor until you think about how it might strand you with an overheating car with no charge in the battery.

Point being is you have to decide what you need. It may be best to have your existing part rebuilt. Power brake boosters come to mind as a good example. Try to buy a new one and the best you can buy is an offshore built piece that fits a bunch of cars rather than tailored for your car. It may be best to buy some parts new. Some aftermarket parts are really good and some are junk. Almost all is made in some other country. You won't get away from that.

For buying new parts, I take advantage of the internet. I'll first look on Rock Auto, get some part numbers and prices, then go to Amazon and compare prices. All the "brick and mortar" parts stores have web sites so you can search and compare there too. I've come to the conclusion that whatever part I want is not going to be in stock at the local parts house and it's going to take a day or two anyway, so I might as well do the legwork myself and maybe save a few bucks. About the same time waiting for the part to come in anyway... The return policy with Amazon is really good, something you might lose with Rock Auto, so take that into account. Also, if you should be looking on eBay, don't depend on the application listings... They are often very wrong.

The "Mom and Pop" parts stores are gone... Sad to say this, but it's the truth. Those knowledgeable counter guys are also gone. They are replaced by guys that can only look up stuff on the computer... and then you can't even depend on them to do it right.

One thing that I didn't see suggested is to download a factory parts manual for your car. Get the service manual too if you don't have one. Get them here: MyMopar

Well put. I get alot of Vacuum advances rebuilt that are NOS. They will leak and some are serious money for 100 point cars. I hate returns for something like that. I have had NOS that were fine and after a week of driving they crapped out.

Stuff made of rubber is a no no. In the USAF all rubber parts had a shelf life of ten years than pitched in the trash.

Last edited:
Prob but tell you the truth they do get hard dont need that on a plane.

Back