Booster questions for power 4 wheel drum.

wiggilez

Reaction score
When I compress the bellows on the left am I suppose to feel air come out on the right side of the plate?
20240713_224657.jpg

I was doing some cruising today and had a bit of highway between some of the locations I wanted to see. before getting on the highway my brakes were fine, no issues. then as I was getting off the highway I went to slow down and had no power assist at all. I didn't hear or feel anything on the highway, it was literally get on highway with working brakes go to get off 20 min later and no boost.

20240713_224646[1].jpg

this is the inside of the bellows.

20240713_230349.jpg

and I'm pretty sure this is why I no longer have power brakes. but my question of the bellows still stands.

The bellows is a dust boot and plays no role in diagphram function. Are you wondering if the central shaft is supposed to be air tight? I don't think so.

The bellows is a dust boot and plays no role in diagphram function. Are you wondering if the central shaft is supposed to be air tight? I don't think so.

That's good to hear. It's going to make fixing the diaphragm easier.

Back in 2017 I repaired a tear in a rubber (?) CV boot using Permatex Ultrablack silicone gasket sealant. I cleaned it first with laquer thinner. I still have the car, I only drove it a couple more years after that, but I remember checking on the repair 3 months / 1200 miles later, the Permatex was still bonded strongly to the boot.

Back in 2017 I repaired a tear in a rubber (?) CV boot using Permatex Ultrablack silicone gasket sealant. I cleaned it first with laquer thinner. I still have the car, I only drove it a couple more years after that, but I remember checking on the repair 3 months / 1200 miles later, the Permatex was still bonded strongly to the boot.

I've gone a slightly different route. I cut two patches slightly larger then my tear out of an old bicycle inner tube. Then glued them on with some rubber glue ( the kind that melts it a bit). Then clamped it between some wood to apply even pressure.

I'm going to give it a few hours to set Then see how well it worked. I don't expect it to last forever but it made for a fun weekend project/ experiment.

Back