Brake spindle to backing-plate gasket (how to DIY)

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've disassembled my front spindles and backing plates in preparation to have them powder coated, and a long time ago I've been in this area before and have noticed a white foamy gasket in this area.

DMT shows a white gasket, sort of looks like a 45 rpm record that sits between the spindle and the backing plate. I'm open to suggestions as to what to use to fabricate this item myself as I don't have time to acquire a retail replica.

But also this: The backing plate has a spot-welded retainer or shell on the inside, around the spindle hole. There is (or was) some sort of gasket in there also. Not sure how it was attached - possibly squeezed or pressed in there prior to being welded? I've drilled out the 3 weld spots to get this retainer off, I'll figure out how to re-attach it later (maybe rivet?) but I'm wondering about the gasket that was there and how to make a replacement.

You could use some of the white foam sheet that's often used as packing material. It's usually about 1/8th inch thick, which would be perfect for a new gasket.

Jeff

Why! It's not needed. Someone explain what it does in the real world 1960 whatever, then how it is never going to be put through that kind of use again as a hobby car.

I use the dense white packing foam that I get with parts shipments. Works great and the correct thickness.
Here is the only pic I have, not much but you can see it between spindle and plate.
1720300772483.jpeg

The spindle and the backing plate are completely flat where they come together. It's not clear to me why you'd want to put a thin piece of compressible foam there.

388.jpg

389.JPG

Then this flange is spot welded to the plate, I think there was some foam in there also.

390.jpg

The '67 Monaco/Polara shows a different picture than what I've got, but it does point to this area and say "seal". Seal what?

wheel-hub.gif

I just changed the front drums to scarebird discs on my 65 Monaco. There was no gasket of any kind between the spindle and the backing plate and no recommendations from scarebird that a gasket was needed between the spindle and the new plate.

The spindle and the backing plate are completely flat where they come together. It's not clear to me why you'd want to put a thin piece of compressible foam there.

View attachment 669970

View attachment 669971

Then this flange is spot welded to the plate, I think there was some foam in there also.

View attachment 669973

The '67 Monaco/Polara shows a different picture than what I've got, but it does point to this area and say "seal". Seal what?

View attachment 669974
It is to help prevent road grime from entering the brakes and bearing. Just a little extra care in engineering from the gang at Chrysler.

Back