C body HP 383 - same as B body??

weim55

Reaction score
Will a factory installed C body68-71 HP 383 include all of the same components as the B body (road runner)? HP Camshaft, windage tray, 906 heads etc. ?

Steve weim55 Colorado

No because there is no 68-70 C body HP 383 335 horse assembly.

All C bodies got the 330 horse assembly. All big blocks got the same 906 casting heads.

You have to understand and realize how Chrysler used the term "High Performance".

In the case of my '70 Monaco Brougham 383 "N", the Dodge Polara/Monaco decodes that VIN letter to be "High Performance 383". In those earlier times in the middle 1970s when I bought the car used, I knew the horsepower was 330, as other prior 383 4bbls were 325, generally. With the term "High Performance" attached to a Code N 383, I naturally suspected it had the 268/284 HP cam, but the Factory Service Manual had it as the normal 256/260 cam. I suspected that that HAD to be a mis-print, as i had found a few over the years in Chrysler service manuals, I believed back then.

I had a friend who had a '69 Super Bee 383, which was 383/335. My Monaco would get about 1-1.5 better mpg on trips than what his car would, both with 3.23 gears. I attributed that to the AVS on my car and the 4160 Holley on his car, back then.

A few years ago, when I downloaded a file of the "A.M.A. Specifications" for 1970 Dodge Challengers, I noticed something different in the engine specs! The non-R/T Challenger 383s were the 383/330 engines (with the 256/260 cam) and the R/T Challengers came with the 383/335 (268/285 cam). BOTH engines had "N" as their engine identifier in the VIN! Like my Monaco, the 383/330 had the Carter AVS and the 383/335 had a Holley 4160. BOTH of the engines were termed "High Performance".

In one respect, if the 383 2bbl is "normal performance" either of the 383 4bbls would be "High Performance", I guess.

When the 256/260 cam debuted with the then-new 440/350 of 1966, the 383/325 was then-termed "Standard Cam", as was the 440/350. Both with the 256/260 cam. The then-new 440/375 HP engine used the 268/284 cam, with upswept HP manifolds. The first use of both items. The 440/375 also had 1.74" exhaust valves on the closed chamber heads, pre-906 a year later. Again, first use in those years.

There was also a "440TNT" 440/365 option on C-body cars in 1966. Allegedly "Twin Snorkels and Twin Exhausts", on most models of Chryslers. Same 256/260 cam.

When the 1968 Road Runner arrived, with the 383/335 engine, it had the 440 HP cam, exhaust valves, heads, and exhaust manifolds, which advertising mentioned as "street cred" items. Windage tray, too. Aided by an unsilenced, incognito open element, air cleaner.

ALL 1968-71 B/RB engines, including the 383 2bbl, got 906 heads and 1.74" exhaust valves, standard equipment. As the 1968 383 4bbl Standard Cam motor was still 325 horsepower, yet the 383 2bbl jumped from 270 to 290 advertised horsepower for 1968.

Now, if you want a spinning head, look at Chrysler cam specs and horsepower ratings from 1958 forward. The cam the 1958 Sport Fury 350 2x4bbl motor had had duration/lift of 252/252/.390, which was the normal 4bbl cam for B/RB motors until the earlier 1960s, when the 413/340 and 413/360 motors, got something different and "wilder". Same cam used in the larger 426-W motors, as I recall. In those earlier times, the 383 4bbls were usually 330 rated horsepower with dual exhausts and 10.0CR, with normal exh manifolds. So enter the 1968-1970 383/330 engines with a "more modern" (for the time) cam, larger exh valves, and the upswept exh manifolds as standard equipment. With the "Road Runner 383" having more cam, an open element air cleaner, and better mufflers. Seems like NHRA factored that motor up to 342 horsepower for racing class use? So was Chrysler "sandbagging" on the 383/335 power ratings and possibly over-stating the ratings on their other 383 4bbls? Spinning heads?

Back to the original question . . . for camshafts, see above. For windage trays, only on the 383/335 and 440/375 engines. OF course, the old Direct Connection/Mopar Performance parts programs had windage tray kits and double-roller timing chan sets (as used on the 426 HEMI) available for installation on any B/RB engine.

906 heads? That was Chrysler's standard cyl head on ALL B/RB motors (1968-1971) until the 452s came out in about 1972. They all had 2.08/1.74 valves on the same castings and ports. When the 452 and 906 castings were ported using the Direct Connection "Porting Template Kit", they all flowed the same numbers, according to Chrysler. As the 452s were originally purported to be "emissions heads" with less power potential than the open-chamber 906s. I suspect that, in reality, they were really the same casting in more ways than not. Just as the closed chamber heads that came on my '67 Newport 383 4bbl looked (to my semi-trained/calibrated eyeballs back then), side by side, to have dang near the same ports, although the 906s were supposed to be better. In retrospect, probably more advertising language rather than solid numbers proof, as FEW people had run flow bench tests to see what was what, back then, outside of the factory.

Sorry for the longer answers, but that subject is not quite as cut and dried as it might appear to be. The above finding are from MY own research of documents I found over the years. Your experiences might vary.

Take care,
CBODY67

Last edited:
It's pretty cut and dried.

There's a different use of the term High performance before 68 and from 68-70 with the advent of the higher lift cam availability in the A and B bodies.

The question is if a 68-70 C body got the HP 335 horse assembly and the answer is no. It did not. There was no 335 horse C body assembly.

VIN codes and sales codes only tell you WHAT assembly a car got (383-4bbl) It doesn't tell you WHICH (300/330/335 horse) assembly the car got. You have to look at the broadcast sheet (or Lynch Raod fender tag) to see exactly which assembly, and the corresponds horsepower rating, the car received.

Actual components, applications and horsepower ratings for the HP 383-4bbl can vary by year.

I concur, a rated 383/335 never made it into a C-body. Only the 383/330 and prior 383/325 and prior 383/315 did.

The normal 383 4bbls still had enough guts to catch speeding Corvettes, from back then. Might not be able to out-accelerate them, but they could catch them soon enough on top end.

CBODY67

I concur, a rated 383/335 never made it into a C-body. Only the 383/330 and prior 383/325 and prior 383/315 did.

The normal 383 4bbls still had enough guts to catch speeding Corvettes, from back then. Might not be able to out-accelerate them, but they could catch them soon enough on top end.

CBODY67
Great write up as usual but don’t forget about the head in between the 906 & 452, the 346.

CBody67 and others, thanks for the replies and information. It’s the actual components that differentiate (if any) 330 vs 335 383s that I was curious about. As you mention Cbody67, Camshaft, windage tray, unsilenced air cleaner, and mufflers Are the differences and enough to really up the game on the 335.

I have experience with two examples of HP 383s in Cbodies from back in the day. ‘68 Newport that was a clean grandma special and had that engine with the upswept exhaust manifolds. With a fresh tune, and distributor recurve, it was quite eye-opening how strong it was. The other was an ex Colorado state patrol FuryI and that car ran REALLY strong (better than the Newport). Makes me wonder if the cop spec units did indeed get the 335.

The 256/260 camshaft that you speak of for the 330/383: is this the same camshaft that is used with the two barrel 383? Would you by chance know the lift figure for each of the camshafts that you speak of?

The reason I brought this question up in the first place: I’m going to look at a supposed all original, never apart HP 383 out of a 69 Polara. Was curious what to look for and what to expect.

Steve weim55 Colorado

No because there is no 68-70 C body HP 383 335 horse assembly.

All C bodies got the 330 horse assembly. All big blocks got the same 906 casting heads.
Isn't this like the B-Body HP 383 with AC? They were 330hp and IIRC, the only difference was the air cleaner. No unsilenced air cleaner on the AC B-body cars or C body.

Just curious....

Isn't this like the B-Body HP 383 with AC? They were 330hp and IIRC, the only difference was the air cleaner. No unsilenced air cleaner on the AC B-body cars or C body.

Just curious....

There are differences in the application of the HP 383-4 in B bodies from 68-70. What happened in '68 (no 335 horse with a/c in any car and no 335 horse in a Charger) changed by '70 (a/c and 335 horse available in a Charger). We can document the changes and applications via broadcast sheets and Lynch Road fender tags. There are some differences in the A body 383-4 assembly between 68 and 69.

The most consistent difference between the HP and non HP assemblies across the years is the cam and associated valve springs. Other assembly details and accessories can change contingent on things like the N97 noise reduction package.

The changes and applications are more detailed than mainstream publications and online sources want to get into so a lot of misunderstandings, incorrect or half reporting continues to be repeated.

My '70 Monaco Brougham 383 "N" car came OEM with the HP exh manifolds and a black, crinkle paint dual snorkel air cleaner (rectangular snorkels), and factory dual exhausts. It also had the 10.75" torque converter, which takes 1 qt less fluid when the atf fluid is changed. Can't see that, though.

Not specifically sure if the 1969s had that air cleaner, though, but could have. If the factory specs are 383/330, it should have the HP exh manifolds, I suspect, too. Check the factory service manual for the correct carb type and number.

In 1966, the 383 2bbl cam was the 252/252/.390" cam, with the 383 4bbl having the 256/260/.425" intake .431" exh lifts (I believe). That 4bbl cam was also termed "Standard Cam" in sales literature. In 1967 or 1968, that cam was also used in the 383 2bbls. The 256/260 cam was NOT a wild cam by any means, just a bit better than what came before it, but had little power increases over the earlier cam, as to factory ratings.

Evaluate the car for what it now is and check the engine against the VIN code for a 383 4bbl engine.

As to police cars getting the 383/335 engine, I suspect it would be possible, as law enforcement business was a definite cherished part of Chrysler's business back then, but also probably not very probable. Reason? Law enforcement vehicles have to be very reliable and "able to be worked on" by lower-skill mechanics. Meaning NO high-strung engines that require special care, generally. IF they wanted to get something special, like the 383/335, they might have installed the cam and such themselves, BUT it would have had to be in their budget to do so!

One OTHER thing is that the 383/335 came with a Holley 4bbl. Back then, they were known to be troublesome, needing rebuilds every year or at every tune-up cycle. The normal Carter 4bbls would run forever with little maintenance, by comparison. Loosing a rated 5 horsepower for the more costly Carter 4bbl meant decreased down-time and operating costs. The local dealer would NOT knowingly order a car with a Holley 4bbl on it, unless it was a normal New Yorker or similar and NOT a hot rod engine. Even then, as those cars aged, they normally swapped the Holley for a Carter 4bbl several years later.

By the 1990s, Holley had better gaskets and such, so no issues with them holding up. Almost every Chrysler Corp car owner and techs came to not like any Holley carb, back then, including the 1bbls. Yet the Chevy guys had nothing to say about similar things on Chevy V-8s, back then. Perhaps they figured it was a part of owning a Holley, which they felt they wanted, and tolerated it? Different customer demograhics.

Back then, Chrysler built what I term "package motors". That meant that everything in the engine was designed to work together and do it very well. Cam, heads, carb, dist curve, transmission and torque converter, etc. But Chrysler being a smaller company, would "make them all the same", as to cyl heads and valve sizes. Only the ultimate hot rod drag race "special" motors got special heads with larger valves in them, plus the optional engines in the Chrysler 300 Letter Cars.

Cams were oriented toward good lower rpm torque. That's what got the cars moving from rest. Torque Flites were known for their tight off-idle throttle response, which also gave them a big plus in downhill engine braking in mountain driving in "2". Better than anything Ford or GM had back then, by a long shot. From the SlantSix and 318 2bbls, to the larger displacement 4bbl engines.

Exhaust systems were another "work of art" that put Chrysler ahead of Ford and GM back then. Universally better pipe diameters. Again, one size C-body muffler, as to case size, with good diameter piping. Lots of little things they did to make things better, back then! It's those things that mattered to me, but the average customer would not notice.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

CBody67 and others, thanks for the replies and information. It’s the actual components that differentiate (if any) 330 vs 335 383s that I was curious about. As you mention Cbody67, Camshaft, windage tray, unsilenced air cleaner, and mufflers Are the differences and enough to really up the game on the 335.

I have experience with two examples of HP 383s in Cbodies from back in the day. ‘68 Newport that was a clean grandma special and had that engine with the upswept exhaust manifolds. With a fresh tune, and distributor recurve, it was quite eye-opening how strong it was. The other was an ex Colorado state patrol FuryI and that car ran REALLY strong (better than the Newport). Makes me wonder if the cop spec units did indeed get the 335.

The 256/260 camshaft that you speak of for the 330/383: is this the same camshaft that is used with the two barrel 383? Would you by chance know the lift figure for each of the camshafts that you speak of?

The reason I brought this question up in the first place: I’m going to look at a supposed all original, never apart HP 383 out of a 69 Polara. Was curious what to look for and what to expect.

Steve weim55 Colorado

No. "Cop" cars did not get special assemblies.

There are 4bbl and 2bbl assemblies in C bodies with associated accessories like log or upswept manifolds.

Again, there is no 68-70 383-4 HP assembly in a C body. That was reserved for the A and B bodies.

There are 2bbl and 4bbl exhaust manifolds. There are no HP specific exhaust manifolds. People waste a lot of time and money looking for the elusive 'HP" exhaust manifolds.

There are differences in the application of the HP 383-4 in B bodies from 68-70. What happened in '68 (no 335 horse with a/c in any car and no 335 horse in a Charger) changed by '70 (a/c and 335 horse available in a Charger). We can document the changes and applications via broadcast sheets and Lynch Road fender tags. There are some differences in the A body 383-4 assembly between 68 and 69.

The most consistent difference between the HP and non HP assemblies across the years is the cam and associated valve springs. Other assembly details and accessories can change contingent on things like the N97 noise reduction package.

The changes and applications are more detailed than mainstream publications and online sources want to get into so a lot of misunderstandings, incorrect or half reporting continues to be repeated.
The Charger would not have had the 383/335 because that engine was exclusive to Super Bees, in Dodges and Road Runners in Plymouths. Otherwise the normal 383/330. I did see lots of Road Runners with factory a/c in TX, just as my friend's '69 Super Bee 383/335 had factory a/c too. His car was a TF, though. Same with a '71 'Cuda 383 of a college friend.

There was also something about "HEMI Orange" paint being on the HP-cam engines? But back then, we weren't worried about engine VIN codes or cam specs, just that they "went fast", typically. So lots of the little things flew well under our radar, back then.

CBODY67

Be careful with the use of "HP" as to C-body 383s. The 383 "N" engine is listed in the FSM as "383 High Performance", just as it is the B-body FSM.

In earlier times, I termed the 383/335 was a "Road Runner 383" (before there was the similar Super Bee, plus mainly because our town had a weak Dodge dealer), with the 440/375 being "the GTX 440". That allowed me to talk about the 'Cuda 383 as having the "Road Runner 383" in it. Just as the Challenger R/T had the "Super Bee 383" in it. That part was easy.

Things got flaky when people wanted to order a Satellite 383 4bbl "with the Road Runner engine in it", as my neighbor allegedly did for his 1968 high school graduation car. It came with the Road Runner air cleaner, upswept exh manifolds, dual exh, and ran well. We didn't know about VIN codes and such back then, just cosmetic items we could see. And it was not orange. Seems like it had a Road Runner pie tin on the open element air cleaner? But it was an open element air cleaner with no snorkels.

Perhaps the car came with a different air cleaner and the salesman swapped the air cleaner from an in-stock Road Runner? Small town dealer and the car was ordered, so who knows what happened before the car was delivered. I just know what it looked like when he got it. And with the stock Goodyear tires, it was easy to break them loose. ALL was good and he was happy, which is all that mattered, back then.

We were high school guys back then. Only knowing what we read in HOT ROD, MOTOR TREND, CAR LIFE, or sales brochures, back then. Worrying about other things came later.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

OK, lots of good information here. My main takeaway and question that I was most curious to answer: Camshaft.
Would make perfect sense Road Runner cam would only be used in factory applications with no AC And the lighter A/B bodies.

The Charger would not have had the 383/335 because that engine was exclusive to Super Bees, in Dodges and Road Runners in Plymouths. Otherwise the normal 383/330. I did see lots of Road Runners with factory a/c in TX, just as my friend's '69 Super Bee 383/335 had factory a/c too. His car was a TF, though. Same with a '71 'Cuda 383 of a college friend.

There was also something about "HEMI Orange" paint being on the HP-cam engines? But back then, we weren't worried about engine VIN codes or cam specs, just that they "went fast", typically. So lots of the little things flew well under our radar, back then.

CBODY67

As stated above, the applications change over time. This is documented (not 'some guy says', not 'I saw it online', not 'I read it 30 years ago in a magazine', not faded memories) but current research based factory documentation from broadcast sheets and Lynch Road fender tags.

A 68 Charger did not get the 335 horse assembly.
A 69 Charger, or any B body, with a four speed and no a/c got the 335 horse.
We have documentation via a BS of a 70 Charger with a/c getting a 335 horse assembly.

There is no 335 horse a/c assembly until 70 so you friend could not have had a 335 horse a/c car in '69.

I have spent the better part of 20 years researching this topic and compiling the documentation..

VIN codes and sales codes are irrelevant to which assembly the car received. ALL 68-70 383-4 cars code H/N in the VIN but not all H/N code cars are HP. What matters is the Body style (A, B, E or C body) the transmission and whether the car got a/c or not. A 383-4 in a 68 Dart is different than in a 68 Charger, both are different than a '68 Super Bee and all three are different than a '68 Monaco.

As stated above, the applications change over time. This is documented (not 'some guy says', not 'I saw it online', not 'I read it 30 years ago in a magazine', not faded memories) but current research based factory documentation from broadcast sheets and Lynch Road fender tags.

A 68 Charger did not get the 335 horse assembly.
A 69 Charger, or any B body, with a four speed and no a/c got the 335 horse.
We have documentation via a BS of a 70 Charger with a/c getting a 335 horse assembly.

There is no 335 horse a/c assembly until 70 so you friend could not have had a 335 horse a/c car in '69.

I have spent the better part of 20 years researching this topic and compiling the documentation..

VIN codes and sales codes are irrelevant to which assembly the car received. ALL 68-70 383-4 cars code H/N in the VIN but not all H/N code cars are HP. What matters is the Body style (A, B, E or C body) the transmission and whether the car got a/c or not. A 383-4 in a 68 Dart is different than in a 68 Charger, both are different than a '68 Super Bee and all three are different than a '68 Monaco.
Really appreciate this post as it sums it up very well.
One last question: with all these different variants of HP383s, will they all be stamped HP On the right side block pad?

Steve weim55 Colorado

Really appreciate this post as it sums it up very well.
One last question: with all these different variants of HP383s, will they all be stamped HP On the right side block pad?

Steve weim55 Colorado

I can speak to the B bodies...yes. I can't remember if the 68-69 A body assemblies are stamped or not.

Now, like I stated, back then we just knew what we read in magazines and sales brochures. Be that as it may. All of the "numbers match" stuff came in later years.

BUT if 383/335s did not have factory a/c in the earlier years, what about a '68 Road Runner I saw in west Texas in July, with the windows rolled up? The reason I noticed that car was that it had power windows, which I felt was unusual for a Road Runner to have. So, was that car really a 383/330 car in disguise?

Would the no factory air issue on 383/335 cars have been in the order guides and noted in the sales lit, too? I do recall some restrictions, which I have not understood, as to manual trans 440 Chargers not getting factory a/c, though.

Again, NOT to try to doubt your research and related documentation.

CBODY67

Now, like I stated, back then we just knew what we read in magazines and sales brochures. Be that as it may. All of the "numbers match" stuff came in later years.

BUT if 383/335s did not have factory a/c in the earlier years, what about a '68 Road Runner I saw in west Texas in July, with the windows rolled up? The reason I noticed that car was that it had power windows, which I felt was unusual for a Road Runner to have. So, was that car really a 383/330 car in disguise?

Would the no factory air issue on 383/335 cars have been in the order guides and noted in the sales lit, too? I do recall some restrictions, which I have not understood, as to manual trans 440 Chargers not getting factory a/c, though.

Again, NOT to try to doubt your research and related documentation.

CBODY67
Most of the HP engines had some kind of air induction in the hood. They couldn't fit a V2 and that big air cleaner in the same space. Here's a page out of the 68 Chrysler book and the 68 Dodge (SuperBee) book. The specs look the same between the 2 divisions.
1725558804791.png
1725558877548.png
1725559062823.png

Back