Can I rant just a tad? Shields & Lifts.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My NYB has had an overheating problem siince Day 1.
Except for one time, it was never the thermostat :D
Summer in Florida, mid day, A/C maxed out, Sun beating down...
A situation demanding at the least.
New everything from A to Z finally got it under control, but still "warmer" than I was completely comfortable with.

Anyway, Formals came with a seven(!) piece "splash" shield system that I removed when I did the front end. They were also "tired" after all these years so I contacted our sponsor and friend here, Detroit Muscle Tecnologies and he said if I sent him the originals, he would supply me with enough correct material, including the CORRECTclips (try finding those), to make my own using the originals as templates. I made them, put them away on the shelf because they are a P.I.T.A. to install, thinking, They'll be in the trunk for the next care taker of my NYB. I don't drive in the rain, anyway.

Last week, surfing ebay, I came across a 1975 Chrysler Master Tech's manual on Cooling Systems. I got it the other day and read every word.
I learned that the lower "splash" shields are not that but part of the cooling system to direct max flow of the air through the radiator. :urkidding: So, I bit the bullet yesterday and spent a good part of the day installing them. It is not, Position and clip. Sweated through that, took the NYB for a grueling shake out and low and behold, the shields were the last pc. of the puzzle. :yaayy:

So, as most of the longer term members here know, I have a logistics problem with space that requires me to move three vehicles sometimes to get at one, while using my lift to double deck for parking.
Part of yesterday was spent simply vehicle wrangling using neighbor's driveways, etc. To finish up the day, I had to put the Newport up in the air and I was done. When raising the Newport, the lift motor started to struggle badly and then the motor started burning up. OMG! I had to get that car up in the air or I would have a serious storage logistics nightmare. So I said, Screw it and went for broke. The lift barely made it to the last lock when the
motor went out out shooting flames.

Simply said, installing the now "cooling" shields ended up costing me $340.00. :soapbox:

MORAL OF THE STORY:
You are so close to this...

20140713-114823-42503124.jpg

When you end up with....

7932597960_0a12334f0b_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wow I never would have thought those shields helped cooling.Good job on that part. Cooling systems are so weird.
I have 2 cars presently, a 63 Fury and a 65 Fury.Both are 440s, neither one have a shroud, neither heats up past 180.(although no A/C)

Thinking back, I had a 73 Charger 400 that always ran hot, I had ripped all the splash guards off of. That's probably why.

my 66 doesn't have a shourd and on hot days it's hot too. want to shroud it an clutch fan but hate to take the orig. away from it. has made it 134,000 this way(engine has never been apart) i just think the temp. gauge is just a little off, never boils over or diesles when you shut her down.

Last edited:
Sorry bout the lift stan! Glad everything else worked out though. I'm affraid to touch the shields on the blumo. they are falling apart. Everytime I take the front bumper off, a little more material rips. Guess I'll have to contact DMT when the time comes...

On a side note.. Do you notice any improvment in the A/C system now?? Being the air is getting directed where to go.

On a side note.. Do you notice any improvment in the A/C system now?? Being the air is getting directed where to go.
YES! Absolutely.
Another benefit I didn't expect: it was a ton quieter.

Except for the Lean Burn, don't mess with how Ma designed it. Right?

Congratulations on finding the cooling issue. I can't stand those shields on anything! Food for thought against ripping them off now. Me being Irish, I call that the luck of the Irish!!! You know you'll be pleased cruising a quieter,cooler more factory correctly Cbody ! By the way, I'm sure the neighbors are jealous when they watch you play musical cars! I would be!

Sorry bout the lift stan! Glad everything else worked out though. I'm affraid to touch the shields on the blumo. they are falling apart. Everytime I take the front bumper off, a little more material rips. Guess I'll have to contact DMT when the time comes...

why are you taking your front bumper off so frequently?

Started out with the same problem with the Polara and solved the problem the same way. Wish I knew about your issue sooner.

why are you taking your front bumper off so frequently?

Don't take it off a whole lot. But have had it off several times. A couple times for paint/touch ups, building the front push bar, and this last time for all new sheetmetal up front. Has to come off again for repaint in the future. Hopefully this is the last time lol

Nothing worse for stress levels than a climbing temp gauge....
Drive home when I bought the Dodge involved 30 miles nose to tail traffic with temp needle almost on the peg....
I replaced rad cap / stat / w.pump / re cored rad / (leaking) core plugs....still had intermittent problem.
Changed head gaskets...
Finally fitted aftermarket temp / oil pressure gauges and temperature is perfect.
Hindsight - probably combination of above but I now ignore factory gauge !

mark.

Nothing worse for stress levels than a climbing temp gauge....
Drive home when I bought the Dodge involved 30 miles nose to tail traffic with temp needle almost on the peg....
I replaced rad cap / stat / w.pump / re cored rad / (leaking) core plugs....still had intermittent problem.
Changed head gaskets...
Finally fitted aftermarket temp / oil pressure gauges and temperature is perfect.
Hindsight - probably combination of above but I now ignore factory gauge !

mark.

Damn i have same probs and have done all the same things minus aftermarket temp oil gauges but now im also wondering because my shields were crsp and ripped them out. Wonder if thats it too

Worth a shot for peace of mind (I also changed original temp sensor prior)
I fitted new gauge sender in place of blank plug near stat so totally independent of old gauge.

mark.

Back