Can you tell if a radiator hose ruptured from age or freezing?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
General car question. I have a beater import work car. I had the dealership work on the cooling system this fall and I don't believe they got the correct percentage of anti-freeze. I was driving it this morning in -6F weather. Went straight to operating temperature 180, but zero heat. After 8 miles it hit 240, I pulled off the freeway. I was ready to shut it down then the temperature started to drop.

By the time I shut it off the temperature was back to normal, but the hose had burst and no coolant in the system. I checked the refill reservoir, what was left, was like a slushy. I shot a video of it to show the dealership, backing up my idea of under anti-freeze percentage.

Any way to prove this hose burst from the result of frozen anti-freeze.

Could have a cracked head or block or both (from freezing).

Good news, I didn't cause any other damage to the car. No seals blown and no cast cracked. I will try my luck with the service manager tomorrow. The problem is you can't easily replace this hose, so it is a fairly big job to replacing it.

I am so done with this car, to expensive to work on and too much of a pain in the butt for me to do it myself. Just want it to last a bit longer until I buy a new work car.

The problem is you can't easily replace this hose, so it is a fairly big job to replacing it.
Vehicles are gettin beyond rediculous.
A freakin simple radiator hose is now a big job.

Vehicles are gettin beyond rediculous.
A freakin simple radiator hose is now a big job.

It's a big job, and the other problem is that there's no way to put water directly into the radiator. My wife's car blew a radiator hose and I limped it to the mechanic, but the only way to add water was through the overflow tank. But the overflow works by suction, which doesn't exist if there's a freaking hole in the hose!

Good news the dealership stepped up and covered all cost of the repair. I was ready to go to battle over the bill and I didn't have to they made it right.

Back