Carb and Choke set up 1968 Imperial

Dartman67

Reaction score
My buddy just purchased a 1968 Imperial with a 440 engine that has what looks like a new Edelbrock 8867 carb but with no choke. I'm struggling to find a choke kit matching up to that carb number. I don't want a manual choke and and I can't find a choke kit specific for that Carb. One option I have is to buy a used carb (8867) off ebay with an electric choke installed and hope the choke is in good working order. I'm not real familiar with Carbs and know there are lots of folks out there with much more knowledge. Please help educate me.

A quick Google search of "Edelbrock 8867 electric choke kit" brings up a lot of conversion kits, some with a new choke plate shaft, others with just the new choke thermostat, wiring, and a few bits of linkage. A prior Google search for just the carburetor tuned up a used 8867 with the electric choke installed for about $100.00 (the cost of some of the conversion kits!).

It appears the 8867 was a prior AFB model, which explains its different numbers from a more recent Performer AFB (1400-series part numbers, with and without an electric choke).

Trying to get to the Edelbrock.com website, for some reason, activated "unsafe" and "virus" warnings, with a flaky Internet address! The kits I found were on eBay and Amazon.

I would NOT want a manual choke on an Imperial, either! No matter what.

CBODY67

Back