Carb problems

rkrochen

Reaction score
I noticed that my PCV valve had no suction so I pulled the hose from the carb and found the port was completely blocked. I then removed the carb and cleaned the port out however during the inspection I cannot determine where the vacuum comes from. There is no port in the manifold that matches the port on the carb (pics attached). I went to look for a replacement base gasket or carb kit and was using the number located on the fuel bowl which is 1779 and of course it doesn’t correspond with the parts books. At this time I am thinking that the carb has been replaced with a different one which is causing the problem.
Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Also does anyone have a reference to the correct part number for the carb.

IMG_5362.jpeg

IMG_5361.jpeg

IMG_5364.jpeg

IMG_5365.jpeg

IMG_5363.jpeg

As a note the number I am referring to is found on the side of the float bowl. I cannot locate any other numbers or tags for reference.

Yes, the pcv passage can clog with time and other conditions. The one main passage tees into two separate passages which go to the throttle bores. Like the one which snakes around to both of the throttle bores, for example. Some spray carb cleaner, gently, can answer your question. Should be below the throttle plates, too.

CBODY67

Yes, the pcv passage can clog with time and other conditions. The one main passage tees into two separate passages which go to the throttle bores. Like the one which snakes around to both of the throttle bores, for example. Some spray carb cleaner, gently, can answer your question. Should be below the throttle plates, too.

CBODY67
Tried the carb cleaner. The tube is connected to the oblong shaped port. This then matches to the small hole on the base gasket but there is no corresponding opening on the manifold. Kind of stumped. I may just reassemble and try it again.

Carb gasket 2.jpeg

I am assuming this is the port to the PCV tube? If so I would trim the gasket so it can pick up vacuum from below the throttle plates

Last edited:
Is this a carter 2-bbl? (side question - did they put the carter 2bbl on both the 318 and 383?)

This thread might help:

I've been putzing with a carter 2bbl on my 318 last year, I wanted better / smoother idle, I bought one of those clone carbs ($100) but it came with the thin gasket, I bought the thicker one like I had originally. Still putzing with it, hardly drive it though, I continue to wonder if it's todays gasoline.

Is this a carter 2-bbl? (side question - did they put the carter 2bbl on both the 318 and 383?)

This thread might help:

[/URL]

I've been putzing with a carter 2bbl on my 318 last year, I wanted better / smoother idle, I bought one of those clone carbs ($100) but it came with the thin gasket, I bought the thicker one like I had originally. Still putzing with it, hardly drive it though, I continue to wonder if it's todays gasoline.
Yes it’s a Carter. The only numbers on it are located on the float bowl which is 1779 and they don’t make sense.
Hoping to start it up today and see how it works now. I am thinking to will resolve an ongoing issue I had with some condensation build up I saw on the oil dipstick.

So what you have looks like this:

179.jpg

184.jpg

186.jpg

Well, maybe a little cleaner looking than that. What I did have on my 318 was stamped 1933.

Here is a photo of the carb base. There is an oval or tear-drop hole between the 2 bores, hard to see in this photo.

Also, have a look at this thread:

All pages might have something useful for you, but look particularly at page 3. Take note of the differences in the base gasket, notch vs no notch and when to use which one.

carb-base-1779.jpg

Good news. I trimmed the base gasket to create a port for vacuum and everything is good now. I have a strong vacuum at the pcv now. Thanks for the help.

Back