Cause of rust on internal chromework round windshield and door frames ?

coco

Reaction score
Been looking at a car for sale and wondering why it has such damaged pitted chromework around the windshield and door frame, when rest of car seems fine. I thought perhaps been sitting without a windshield/screen undercover for some time, then replacement fitted ? Can these be removed and rechromed easily ? Many thx for advice / replies

1966-chrysler-new-252520yorker.jpg

Some people leave their windows down a lot. Moisture will get on it and rust will eventually appear. Those pieces should unscrew and come off easily. They might clean up with some good metal polish and 0000 steel wool.

Seems all the trim round all the windows is affected but nothing on dash area or steering wheel etc, though visors seem in bad way compared to rest of the inside !

I had forgotten what its like to have exposed metal inside a car, when kept outside. Perhaps that is what its been, never been garaged and the interior has been redone at some point, but not all of it. Dealer yet to respond to my inquiry to buy. Thanks to you all for replies appreciated...

Car sits outside with windows rolled up.
Water/moisture gets inside car.
Car warms up and the water condenses up and gets on all the upper chrome and chrome screws and rusty it.

Yes the dash is just fine most of the time.

Happens in Seattle area like crazy on cars that sit out and not driven regularly.

Must crack the windows or open up the car on dry days and get that moisture out.

Big problem is never brushing the snow off. It condenses large water droplets on the glass and metal inside the car.

One somewhat misconception is that all chrome plating is created equal. In some respects it is, in other respect, it's not.

The "bumper chrome" is harder and shinier, for example, that then interior brightwork, which has a more satin finish, by comparison. There are also different "shades" of chrome, too. I observed that factory bumpers and such on Toyota pickups (1990s) had a more blue tint to it, as USA models were more "white" or "silver". Little nuances like that can give vehicles a different look, by observation.

The less-hard the chrome might be, the more porous it can be, as a result. Which then means it does not protect as much against moisture intrusion into the lower layers and the base metal underneath. Which can result in the "rust" forming.

There are several DIY ways to remove rust deposits, including DIY solutions to apply to the surface, let it sit a while to chemically dissolve the rust, then wash off and neutralize before it is further polished/waxed for protection.

Consider, too, that if enough moisture collected on those particular items, it might also be on the underside of the roof areas, which did not receive any more than basic primer at the assy plant. So investigate further when you remove the parts for cleaning. Might need to apply some rust encapsulator products?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back