Changing back lights

timthomas

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to replace the tail lights on my 69 Chrysler Newport.

I do not want to force or break anything

Looking in the trunk I can see the wires leading up to the sockets. But I cannot figure out how to remove the bulb.

There are what appear to be 4 nuts holding the back light assembly on. I loosened the driver side and tried to pull the assembly out over the back bumper. It moved slightly but did not come out.

Playing safe thinking this is probably not the correct way.

Its simple.
The sockets pull out of the tail light housing in the trunk.
The socket has tabs that act as springs to keep them in place.
Just have to be firm to pull them down and out.
They go in only one way as you look closely to socket there is a big gap that matches the tab in the housing.
Hope this helps.

On some, you have to remove the lens and the socket is part of the housing and you give it a little twist and it pops out. If your tail lamps have screws, this is the way to change the bulb.

I’ll take pic of the housing how it is connect and post it tomorrow. I can see the bulb socket from the trunk the 4 connectors a come off easy with a socket wrench

Looks like I need to loosen the 4nuts holding the assembly in. While you can see the bulb sockets they appear to be just part of the assembly

IMG_8485.jpeg

Its simple.
The sockets pull out of the tail light housing in the trunk.
The socket has tabs that act as springs to keep them in place.
Just have to be firm to pull them down and out.
They go in only one way as you look closely to socket there is a big gap that matches the tab in the housing.
Hope this helps.
This worked thank you

Back