Status
Not open for further replies.

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Contact seller
1977 Chrysler Newport 23K
More pix in ad

From seller:
This car is in amazing condition 23,000 actual miles all original car call or text for details.
$7500 obo

00c0c_g8stX3Ulr5O_1200x900.jpg

00i0i_1NNeAIJKCyM_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_bG9WLHpPT40_1200x900.jpg

00m0m_f6dM7vZ8JV5_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_IhCJp8i2fp_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_CKDPc9LXlm_1200x900.jpg

00S0S_4hzwqGVBX8O_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_lDCJdY3Mehg_1200x900.jpg

01616_ljpDV3xYkNu_1200x900.jpg

01717_cvCv0yZpouR_1200x900.jpg

Hard to tell condition with the shop lighting.

Not all original as stated in the ad.

Lean Burn has been converted and not a real good conversion.

The TQ is in the trunk.

I guess different strokes, I like the brown and tan Chryslers. I had a 78 Le Baron and 81 Le baron and my brother had 74 Fury III. There have been better shades of brown but it's all in the eye of the beholder. I respect that it still has what appear to be the original wheel covers and he had sense enough to keep the parts he took off, TQ in trunk. Some may folks make changes, good bad or indifferent and toss the original parts.

I've 'known' this car locally for about 3-4 years.
Originally it was on CL on the SE side of town, looking very original and honest, for $4000, then down to $3500. I was mildly interested because it hung around on CL for a few months, and things I'm supposed to have seem to hang around until I buy them. But it was a sedan, a minor but major detail, and I didn't need another car to care for, so I passed. (if I ever get a Formal, it will be a hardtop)

Then perhaps 1.5 years ago it showed up on the main street near the exit to my neighborhood, perhaps 1/2 mile away. (small world!) Obviously recognizable as the same car. And the torsion bars had 'dropped' 2-3 inches in front (YUK!!!)

Then one day it was at the street with a FS in the windshield.

I drove past it every day to work, and after about a week I had to know - so I parked across the street and trotted over for a look.
I don't remember the exact price, but was around $7000 or something - I was surprised that it wasn't 2x that amount.

Then it popped up on CL again, at a firesale of $3000, and was gone from the street a few days later.

Within a month it was being flipped from a location NW of Indy for about $15k. I remember thinking 'good luck'!
Then Gateway brokerage had it listed for $21-22k shortly after. 'The fools', I thought. Nobody seems to know what they've got with this car.

I had mildly contemplated buying it at $3000, keeping it for < a year, and reselling. But the first seller evidently got 3500 or less, 2nd seller got 3000 (or less), so I would be a fool to think I'd fare any better. I didn't know if it was up to my reliability standards, so feared I'd hafta put some money in it, and then I feared I'd be stuck with:

most bland, non-descript, wallflower Formal I have ever seen.

About the car:
It's fairly nice, and I believe the mileage is genuine, although I haven't eagle-eyed it to validate. Well-cared-for cars could look this nice with 123k on them. The driver's seat has soemthign a little funny to it, like it's slightly worn, or slightly dirty, or ??? I simply remember thinking a 23k seat should look more crisp - it looks like a 80-90k seat. This car also has some tiny popcorn rustbubbles along the bottom edges, in the paint, and in that lower 2-3" of blackout treatment on the rockers. I've noticed that everybody that sells this car does not show photos of that!

Overall IMO it's a decent, honest car, has some flaws but not really hiding anything, and would be a good car for anybody except a purist/perfectionist. With that said, due to the color scheme, plain wheelcovers, and being a sedan, I'd put it at a $4-4500 car. IT's OK if that's your budget, but if you have more money go find something with a little more pizazz. Like Stan's!!!

Thanks. That was a great story. Valuable information in there and some valuable reality. Answered a lot of my questions.

BTW - I've been away from FCBO lately, and ebay too (I've re-started my old sickness of woodworking and building stereo speakers) but tonight I saw your car on ebay. I'm sure there's a discussion here - send me the link and save me looking for it?

Hard to tell condition with the shop lighting.

Not all original as stated in the ad.

Lean Burn has been converted and not a real good conversion.

The TQ is in the trunk.

I thought this was one of the rare optioned "Carb is mounted in the rear trunk well":rolleyes:

BTW - I've been away from FCBO lately, and ebay too (I've re-started my old sickness of woodworking and building stereo speakers) but tonight I saw your car on ebay. I'm sure there's a discussion here - send me the link and save me looking for it?
Here ya go. Even at 79-hundred, it got zero legit enquiries. There's the reality. Unbelievable man.
1976 Chrysler New Yorker | eBay

Last edited:
My one and only Formal is also a '77 Newport and just so happens to show 23k on the clock, which I'm 99.9% sure is the actual miles based on oil change stickers on the door jamb, overall condition, etc. It still had the plastic caps on the TQ idle mixture screws and 3 of the tires looked to be originals. Here's a pic of the engine bay, which is about as close to original as can be less the battery cover. To me it looks like the engine bay of a car with 23k miles, the engine bay of the Newport in this post, not so much.

Newport Engine Bay.jpg

P Newport Bay.jpg

Last edited:
Here ya go. Even at 79-hundred, it got zero legit enquiries. There's the reality. Unbelievable man.
1976 Chrysler New Yorker | eBay
I thought you had a very reasonable opening bid, esp for NR. I'm no Formal expert, I only say that based on the $12,500-21,000 examples on ebay that are, at best, only equal in presence to your car. And your gastank area shows an honest car, not one that's been dragged thru the detailer's undercoating pit.

Very striking car.

You're lucky Lash didn't scoop it up on you for a double-price flip, that would break your heart, wouldn't it?

You're lucky Lash didn't scoop it up on you for a double-price flip, that would break your heart, wouldn't it?
No, no it wouldn't. As long as he met my price, he's welcome to double it and sit on it for 3 years.

I seriously thought at 8k, NR, it was gonna get grabbed the first day. I am doing something wrong.

When I made the decision to sell, I went to the Gold Members first and asked them where to price it at. Most said 10-12. I started at 14 on Hemmings. Made Hemmings Car of the Week.
Went to 12, then 10. Zip. Ebay at 8. Zip redux. It's not going any lower in the foreseeable future. I'll pull the tags, drop the insurance, and put it away up on the lift. Jeff will buy it for 25-hundred from my estate I'm guessing... For parts. :lol:

Last edited:
No, no it wouldn't. As long as he met my price, he's welcome to double it and sit on it for 3 years.

I seriously thought at 8k, NR, it was gonna get grabbed the first day. I am doing something wrong.

Lash would try lowballing the daylights out of your asking price.

Going back to the original brown car:
Kinda funny, here's another local, 77, Newport, 4dr, and also a sedan.
1977 CHRYSLER NEWPORT

If anyone is interested, this guy is local, I've known him for probably 15 years and have bought 3 cars from him in that time.

upload_2019-3-17_19-56-3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back