Cleaning the rear drain plenum on our 67 Newport Custom

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean up inside this drain box? Compressed air in one opening and a vacuum cleaner in the other?

Maybe even spraying in some anti-corrosion fluid that will cover the bottom half of it and keep it from rusting?

It's lived a dry life being a California car and now with Norwegian climate, rain and regular washing it will get wet and exposed to moisture. It's not destined to be a garage queen.

We are new to these cars and appreciate all help and advice you guys can offer

20240715_182530.jpg

I own a 1967 Monaco with the same setup. I take off the hose (both clamps) and then use a leaf blower on top very well. amazing what collects in there! Radiator hose pliers/ vise grips are my friends during this chore. Have fun!

I don't think it's all that difficult to remove the package tray and go in from the top, if you really want to do a thorough job removing any junk that's in there.

The drain box may actually be galvanized. If so, rust shouldn't be an issue if it's kept clean inside.

Jeff

I thought I read or saw somewhere that keeping the hoses raised (with a wire or cord or something) will prevent a water trap from forming.

The hoses on my '67 CE23 look very similar to the one in the picture. When I got the car in 1981, I was wondering why the hoses looked so "universal", with the bend in them. The bend is probably there to thwart any invasion of under body air, just like the bend on the bottom of a lavatory prevents sewer gas from coming onto the house from that source. Same principle.

I would think a combination of a (20V leaf blower) leaf blower from the topside and a shop vac hooked to a drain hose might be pretty good. I'm thinking the whole mechanism can be unattached from the bottom of the package tray? The reverse of how it was installed at the assy plant, as a unit.

California climates CAN very greatly! From the humid (obviously with some salt content) of the coastal areas to mountains and then the dry deserts. As with real estate, it's "location". that matters.

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

The valve is there more to open and close the system. Ford's similar system on similar-year T-birds was similar, but apparently was more prone to air intrusion if the actuator failed in the open position. I believe the default mode on the Chrysler system is "closed", as I recall.

Remember, too, that like the "flaps" on hvac system doors, the flap on the rear mechanism is probably similar, which means it can deteriorate with time and use. Even if the rear drain hose bends are not completely similar to a lavatory under-counter "trap", something is better than nothing, IF the system is open when the undesired under-car smells exist.

CBODY67

Back