clock restoration

Hi friends,

For my '71 Newport I was looking for a clock. It was a lot car from Florida originally, and had no options except for AC.
Klok1.jpg

So I wanted a clock that would work and keep time accurately. This almost immediately excluded the original clocks. I bought defective one though, for the original look
Klok2.jpg

And disassembled it. I replaced the clock mechanism with a DCF radio controlled unit. This works on a Atomic clock in Germany that broadcasts it's time over a 77 kHz radio signal throughout Europe.
Klok3.jpg

It always keeps perfect time and goes automatically to daylight savings time and back. This is what it looks like in the dashboard:
Klok4.jpg

The knob doesn't do anything anymore.
Happy driving!
Arnold.

It's not difficult actually. Remove one horizontal ventilation tube by unscrewing a phillips screw, and you can reach it while lying on your back, with your head resting on the brake pedal. But never having to replace it is better of course :D

you can reach it while lying on your back, with your head resting on the brake pedal.
The days of lying under the dash with the seats still in the car are long gone for me. I can get in there, but the spine will say NFW and I'll be stuck there.

Back